1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wisconsin judge tosses union-busting law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark McGwire, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

It wasn't, it was a special session. The judge is wrong, and I would wager she knows she is wrong. This will be overturned by the state supremes...and I'm pretty sure she knows that, too. She was just buying time (four months) and rendered her decision closer to the recall elections. It's clear no senate rule was violated.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Interesting -- a Wisconsin state legislator tells her constituents that the reason police and fire were left out of the union-busting legislation was “because we didn’t have the stomach for more protestors.”

“The governor had a contingency plan for every public employee if everyone walked off the job except for the police and fire, so they were left off… It made perfect sense,” she said.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/20110525/OSH0101/110524166/Republican-State-Representative-Michelle-Litjens-meets-constituents-Winchester-tells-them-GOP-didn-t-stomach-fight-police-fire-unions?odyssey=mod|mostcom

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Walker was stoopid to forget that Wisconsin is at heart progressive and won't cotton to Pinkertonism.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not clear. If it were clear, this wouldn't be in the courts.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I am fascinated by this story because it contains everything I'm interested in. Can't wait to see how this one comes out. Love to see the Supreme Court take it up as it gets closer to the recall elections. At least then maybe the media will write about it.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple. State law > congressional rules.

And copyright laws apply to copying and pasting entire articles from a blog to a message board. http://www.redstate.com/copyright/

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Special sessions can't be used to circumvent open-meeting laws. Was there a public interest to hold a special session?

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Want a baba and a wattle? Duz Inky need his widdle diapie changed? Awwwww...

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

No, it is clear. It shouldn't be in the courts. But I guess finding a liberal judge willing to turn her back on the rule of law and render an indefensable decision is more convenient than having everyone flee the state again.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The rule of law is in the eye of the beholder.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Fixed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.