1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Wisconsin is broke!" (wink, wink)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don’t know how this is really an argument. It’s quite simple really. If you are going to make the argument that the state has no money and, as such, has to make cut backs so brutally awful that people that went to school, obtained a degree and then passed certification tests to obtain their jobs are being laid off, you better not be hiring an incredibly under qualified individual and paying that person more money than the people you claim are overpaid.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, what a perfect way to bring this discussion full circle.

Please tell me what college James Lee Witt, President Clinton's FEMA Director, holds a degree from?

Or, tell me what his experience was before Clinton named him to be Arkansas' head of Emergency Management?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's who elected officials hire for important jobs:

- People they know & trust

- People who are referred by major fundraisers or political organizers who backed the elected official

- People who worked on the campaign

- People who are qualified for the job

This is true of all elected officials.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't matter in this case. The governor has declared that "tough decisions need to be made." If the state really has no money and everyone needs to face the reality that their job isn't secure then the governor cannot hire someone that isn't qualified for the position. To top it off, the governor simply cannot pay that someone a salary the is far more than that of the teachers.

I'd also counter that this is not an important position. If it was, then the person would at least have some background.

As an addendum, I'll point out that Gov. Jim McGreevey lost his job specifically because of this. He hired an unqualified individual for a post. When it was exposed that the hiring was made because it was his gay lover, McGreevey resigned.

Will Walker do the same thing? Will Walker do as another governor in a similar position did?

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

While we are at it I would like to see what kind of a student Barack Obama was. Would love to see his grades at Occidental, Columbia and Harvard and read some of his collegiate papers. I heard a rumor that he was pretty smart, but would like to see the proof.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't mind what kind of crooks, relatives, nincompoops or sloths that governors appoint to high-paying jobs, as long as they don't belong to a union.

Unions are single-handedly killing the country.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nepotism is not OK.

Signed,

Albert Arnold Gore Jr.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's about time we got an investigation into the voters of the Tennessee 4th.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

It does happen all the time, but when a governor is banging the drum about the need for fiscal belt-tightening and targeting teachers making far less than this boob, this dude raking in this much is a joke and said politician needs to be taken to task for it.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Pfft...

It's more fun to point fingers and say "SEE THE OTHER GUY DOES IT TOO!"

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There isn't a president, governor, congressman or senator in this country in either party that doesn't have someone on their staff who was hired as a favor to somebody.

No, that doesn't make it right.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Jesse Jackson Jr. completely agrees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.