1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wis. attorney general tells Crandon citizens not to talk to reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Oggiedoggie, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

From : http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jGcaqntz8rVYXF5wQJNcNAnWZHZgD8S9C2GG1

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The state's top law enforcement official is drawing criticism for encouraging the public not to answer reporters' questions about a north woods shooting by an off-duty sheriff's deputy that left seven dead, including the gunman.

Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen last week said law enforcers would not answer questions about the case in the city where it took place, and he relayed a request that Crandon residents ignore reporters asking questions. He then left the podium without taking questions.

A week after the shooting, authorities have released little or no information on autopsy findings, certain 911 calls made during a manhunt and crime-scene evidence. The crime is one state's biggest homicide cases, and in addition to being a deputy, the shooter was also a part-time officer on the Crandon police force.

-----

Soon, I'll bet he'll insist on being called "coach."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Be interesting to ask the Attorney General why he felt that is a reasonable request and what charges he might bring against citizens who violate his suggestion.

3. And the list of people who can bite me grows by one.

4. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

He must not be 40....

5. Mira

Mira Member

He's a rich idiot. I didn't vote for him.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

An IDIOT? Harsh words.

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

The only reason he was elected was because the previous attorney general was nailed for drunken driving while she was in office, which, of course, basically ended her chances of re-election. She lost her primary race, and the person who beat her ran a very poor campaign against moneybags Van Hollen. He'll be voted out as soon as his term is up.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but he does sounds idiotic, doncha think?

9. Poor Peg.
    I liked her.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Assholish?

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Hate to play devil's advocate, but maybe, just maybe since this guy was an officer and knew a lot of people, they'd like to investigate all angles of this before they start doing it through the media?

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The media is and should be suspicious of any sort of hush tactic of this nature, but I can see reasons why he'd do that. It smacks of wanting to make sure the trial happens in the area where the crime occurred, and if he can limit media reports, he might be able to minimize the chances of a change of venue, which I'm told statistically reduces the probability of a conviction.

Draft saved Draft deleted