1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wire Episode 50 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by VJ, Dec 4, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think Bodie lived by the same code as Omar.

Omar is loyal to no one. His code is that he won't turn his gun on a citizen. But any gangster is fair game. He's a lone wolf.

Bodie was loyal to Avon and Stringer. He was their pawn.

It couldn't have been Marlo's killing that turned Bodie. Avon and Stringer weren't any different than Marlo. And Bodie was their pawn. Don't forget, he was reluctant, but he was still the guy who pulled the trigger on Wallace in Season One. Why was Wallace's death--ordered by Avon--OK with him, but Little Kevins--ordered by Marlo--was not?

Just hypothetically--let's say Stringer and Avon were still around and they had gotten rid of Marlo. And let's say they had killed Little Kevin. Do you think Bodie would have been ready to snitch to McNulty?

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He's older... and he felt tremendous guilt over Kevin. I'm guessing.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Omar and Bodie live by the same code that governs the Game. They just have different roles within it. Bodie was ready to snitch because Marlo was killing for no good reason, i.e. not living by the code.

4. Stupid

Stupid Member

They were good reasons to Marlo. As he said, he couldnt' take any chances with the vacants being emptied.

5. The Big Ragu

You didn't answer... What constitutes good reason for killing? What is fair within this "code" you're talking about? Why was Wallace an acceptable death for Bodie (he even pulled the trigger!) when Avon thought he might be snitching, but Little Kevin wasn't an acceptable killing when Marlo thought he was snitching? They were both Bodie's friends. But he took one's death much harder than the other's.

Bodie was loyal to his guys, not to some mythical code about when it's OK to kill and when it's not. That's what really sums him up.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

But isn't that the point? That was his code?

The bit about not snitching on "any Barksdale boys...the few that's left," was perfect. And it makes a good point...Of the street guys we started with in Episode One, who's left? Poot, Omar...is that it? Prop Joe, I guess, though a boss is obviously a different entity than a corner dealer. Slim Charles is part of the original crew, but I don't really remember him until Season 3.

As someone pointed out earlier, that's part of what makes the show great. Street dealers and their guys get killed all the time, or tossed into prison and forgotten about (which is basically what happened to Poot).

I can hardly wait for Season 5. Thank God Rome comes back soon.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Bodie's rationale was that, according to Stringer Bell, Wallace had indeed snitched, which he had. On the other hand, Little Kev had not snitched, and furthermore did not give Randy enough information to get Chris and Snoop indicted, especially without a body which the police did not have at the time. Did what Little Kev did, passing the information along through a kid, warrant his murder?
    While I agree that the seeds of Bodie's discontent were sown when Marlo won the Barksdale war and strong-armed his support (in the end, how does he really know Wallace snitched, right?) , I believe that if Little Kevin had indeed snitched Bodie wouldn't have been ready to turn to McNaulty.

8. The Big Ragu

I guess I just see a world of difference between someone like Omar and someone like Bodie, which was what got me started on this. Bodie played by other people's rules. Omar makes his own rules.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm really pissed that Charter hasn't put up the episode yet. :mad:

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Don't worry, you are only missing the most awesome thing ever.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Remember the Holocaust?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Picture the exact opposite of that?

Draft saved Draft deleted