1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wire Episode 50 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by VJ, Dec 4, 2006.

1. VJ

VJ Member

It's on Comcast On Demand. Just got finished watching it, probably the best hour of TV I have ever seen. I'll wait until more people have seen it to say my piece, I'd just like to say it combines the great storytelling of a show like Sopranos with real social and cultural insight, something that other award-winning shows lack. Pretty much the entire episode, particularly the final scenes with Michael in the car and the crossroads at the end couldn't have been done any better. I especially liked how at first it seemed like final scene would be Michael throwing the gun in the gutter and the closeup on the gutter representing all the wasted lives thrown away on the street but ending with the scene of Namond looking at the crossroads, representing the better that's out there also. The show isn't neively positive (hence what happens with Randy and Bodie) but it also isn't pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I ain't giving anything away.

I'll just say this:

That was the best season of television I have ever seen.

Beautifully written, acted, filmed.

3. I can't wait for season 5....

Just spectacular storytelling.

Who should win an Emmy?

Michael, Carver, Carcetti, Bunny, Daniels, Omar?

The best TV since Roots!

When does The Shield start back?

4. VJ

VJ Member

If Season 5 is about the media, I wonder what if any cooperation the Sun is going to give them, since presumably they would be the focus of the season. Up until know they've been using the Sun in the show, but weren't doing anything to negatively portray them so they probably saw it as free advertising.

5. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

These last three episodes just tears your heart right out. Right from the opening scene of this episode, you know bad, bad things are going to happen. Wow. If this show doesn't sweep the Emmys, I say we send in Omar after the voters.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actually the episode ran 79 minutes, so it wasn't the best hour, it was the best one hour and 19 minutes.
    If you haven't read the Slate piece yet, you should. It fills in some details on how season 5 is going to progress.
    Also David Simon said he doesn't look at the show as a TV show, but as a 66-hour long movie. And that really explains, to me at least, why the show is well-done and full of the little details.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Is The Wire one of those shows you have to watch from the beginning to be able to pick up on stuff, or can you jump in? I didn't have HBO until last year, and I was never around when it was on.

Allegedly The Shield returns next month, though you'd think FX would be saturating its airwaves with promos. Instead it's all been about this Courteney Cox paparazzi show that starts in January in the Tuesday 10 p.m. slot that The Shield, Rescue Me and Nip/Tuck go in.

8. Is David Simon really Marlo, killing folks just because he can?

Stringer, Bodie, Deangelo and Wallace.

This show just tears you up!

9. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Which was more shocking, Bubs trying to stretch his neck or Mike blowing away Bodie?

10. VJ

VJ Member

I think what separates this show from 24, another favorite, is that when someone gets killed off in the Wire, it serves a purpose and is true to life. This show wouldn't be what it is if all the viewer favorites lived every season, it wouldn't be an accurate depiction of that lifestyle.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dukie... by a mile.

The only time I cried watching the four seasons.

12. FYI: Just in case anyone made the same mistake I did, Michael did not kill Bodie. I thought it was Michael. But it wasn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted