1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Wipeout' contestant dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Contestant dies after suffering stroke while competing on the show.

http://www.thewrap.com/article/man-33-dies-after-suffering-stroke-abcs-wipeout-9994

My first reaction was that it was only a matter of time, considering the amount of middle-aged and out-of-shape people that I've seen on the show. But this guy was only 33, was in great shape and had just completed a marathon. He did, however, have a pre-existing condition that led to the stroke, but I don't think the show can be blamed for his death.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: Big Balls 1: 'Wipeout' contestant 0

Probably a little too flippant on the thread title. What a tragedy. If tests wouldn't show it, one would think he would volunteer his pre-existing condition. I guess a marathon is a more constant wear on the body, where maybe blood clots wouldn't be jarred loose. Wipeout has some pretty violent collisions.

33 years old, freshly married, just got his graduate degree. How absolutely terrible.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: Big Balls 1: 'Wipeout' contestant 0

It's sad - but my first read of this made it unclear as to how connected the death was to his participation. He competes. Get's pulled from course. He's short of breath. He's taken to the hospital. His condition is discovered. He undergoes surgeries - and then dies days later.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Guilty. Wish I could blame it on gallows humor run amok, but I'm just an asshole.
    Changed.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It wasn't that you were an asshole. I just assumed from the thread title he had died because of one event. No big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted