1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winter driving cars?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 1, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'll never own another rear-wheel drive vehicle if I can help it.

2. Having a manual transmission in icy conditions is a big help too, at least for me.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's true because automatic shifts can cause spin outs. If you do have automatic try drivng slower in one of lower gears so it will not shift.

4. It's also nice being able to downshift and slow down slightly without having to hit the brake pedal.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Good for winter: Escapes
    Bad for winter: Mustangs

I still miss my baby, though ... :'(

6. When I was 18, I was driving a friend home who lived on a dirt road. I didn't know it, but the dirt road was a complete sheet of ice and my Mustang slid off right into a power pole. What's sad is the power poles were a good 100 yards from one another with nothing in between.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What's ice? /southerner

When driving on ice, would it help to lower the air pressure in your tires? Like when driving on sand? Hell, I don't know. I live in Alabama. Just throwing out ideas.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

You lived to tell ...

9. Barely. Not from the accident - I thought my mom was going to kill me.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Why? They're fine in the snow if you have good tires and know what you're doing.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

True, but many don't know how to steer into slides and avoid fishtailing.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't do that. Lack of control, poor gasoline mileage ... and it does next to nothing to aid traction.

Draft saved Draft deleted