1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winter driving cars?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 1, 2008.

1. I can't drive my car (Honda Civic) from here to there without it nearly running off the bleeping road, or getting absolutely no traction at stop signs and lights :mad:

What cars/SUVs handle well in bad winter conditions?

Also - any way to soup the Civic up to make it handle better? Or do you need 4WD?

I tried Googling the information, but all I found were a bunch of articles about how, "You shouldn't assume that because you have 4WD that you're safe driving in bad weather!"

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well, that's pretty much true. 4WD is not going to help you with ice or slick conditions.

What kind of tires do you have on your car? You might think about getting some studded ones. Generally Civics, which have front wheel drive, are quite good in icey conditions.

Oh, and SLOW DOWN.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'll swear by my Blizzaks. Those tires rock. I don't have anything special, a 2000 Malibu, but with 4 Blizzaks, I feel like I could pretty much drive up a glacier. (And winter driving doesn't get much worse than it does around here)

4. I'm driving like 15 miles per hour! When I change lanes, the car feels like it's going to run off the f-ing road.

Maybe my tires just blow.

5. sportschick

In that case, I'd get down and get new tires because you should be able to change lanes in a Civic without problems at that speed in the ice.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

While my 04 Grand Am is by no means the nicest car on the planet, I've been really happy with how it's been on the snow this winter. The only time I skidded out was when I wasn't paying attention.
    Aside from that, I've had no problems, and that includes in my driveway that I have to back out of (uphill) when I leave the house.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I drive a version of the Civic ... no handling modification necessary, at least to the pieces Honda put on the vehicle.

You probably have what are termed "summer tires" on your vehicle, PW. That is, they are superb on dry pavement in warm or hot conditions. But they're horrible in snow, and make slippery conditions worse.

Look into some all-season tires, at least, if not snow tires depending on how consistently bad driving conditions are in your corner of the world.

8. Thanks, guys. Sounds like it's a tire issue. I'll strike out this weekend and trick it out. Now, the matter of where to put the four other tires in a two-door Civic ...

9. sportschick

I don't know where you're at, but Les Schwab used to store your summer tires for you if you bought tires there and had them switch the tires out every spring/fall.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My brother and I were talking about this tonight. He has a Honda Civic and has a set of snow tires and says it makes all the difference in the world

I have all-seasons and they're not all that great if you live in a part of the country where you get a lot of snow. Fortunately Toronto is pretty lucky. We get a few big snowstorms but nothing like, say, Buffalo

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Though I haven't had to test my Civic this year, it drove in the snow fabulously last year. The only time I had trouble with it was when I took a wide left and ended up on the wrong end of a snow bank. I had to dig it out and make like an offensive lineman, but it was OK. I'd check the tires because I don't think they're bad cars in the snow.

But it might depend on how old the car is, too.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have an H2 that's pretty good in the snow. Your best bet short term though might be snow tires. They are a huge difference over all season radials in major snow areas.

Draft saved Draft deleted