1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winnipeg Info needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Jul 28, 2006.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I need some help regarding a trip my wife and I are taking Aug 24-26 to Winnipeg. We plan to see the Bomber-Argo game and need info on hotels, food and drink and other things to do. I plan on having a few beers at the game so are there hotels near the field and/or is a cab ride reasonable? BTW before you ask, we picked Winnipeg because that is about a 13 hour drive from where we live and we both enjoy the CFL ( Direct TV). We were just looking for something different to do before the high school season kicks in and I am busy each weekend. Thanks for any help.

2. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I know nothing of Winnipeg, but that sounds like a kick-ass road trip.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Kids in the Hall have a funny reference about Winnipeg. I think it's the "Will dooooo" guy.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There are plenty of titty bars in the greater Winnipeg area.

Other than that, Grand Forks isn't that far away.

5. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

winnipeg has begun improving from a dump of a town to a place thats actually not bad.

the stadium is right in the middle of the city, easy to get to, from your hotel in a cab. i honestly dont know how easy it is to get a cab leaving the game, but i cant imagine its too hard. the cfl crews that go there -- and a couple of the teams as well -- stay at the Fairmont. its a nice place, i think reasonable prices, and right on the main city intersection of portage & main. recommended.

theres a long-time club there called the palomino. cougarish the one night i went there, but popular. plays country and western music. in the summer, a place called cordon street is supposed to be the good area with a ton of patios. and there is an excellent beach a little outside of town, but i dont know the name of it. (any local will know, however.)

bottom line is that two years ago, i would have laughed at you for going here, but now id say its worth a look.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. I haven't been in a few years so I'm sorry I can't give any suggestions.

I do have a question for soccer dad, though. Is the hockey arena still standing that has the huge picture of the queen hanging from the rafters? Biggest freaking picture when you look up from the ice as I remember. I think it's been demolished, but curious.

8. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

the old winnipeg arena -- which had the queen pic -- has been demolished. channeling my inner cliff claven here: you might be interested to know that the wind patterns at the football stadium have changed since the arena is no longer there to block it out on the one (now open) side.

the new mts centre is more downtown, but ive never been there and dont know if the queen survived the demolition.

Draft saved Draft deleted