1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winning Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wehrwd, Mar 15, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To each their own, but I think rivalries can flourish just fine without one or both teams winning championships. If you weren't in NY or Indy, I can see where this one might not be as compelling. But in those towns, Indy especially as Bob Cook explained, it was plenty big.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

At least Slick doesn't have to say much on radio, thanks to Mark Boyle, still my favorite play-by-play radio guy, in part because he's good, but also in part because when he hosted a local radio show he called auto racing "Deathsport" (yes, in Indianapolis) and publicly flayed a state rep on the air, right into his ear while he was on the phone, for writing a letter to the NCAA asking for an investigation about whether Duke's win over Indiana in the '93 final four was fixed.

Slick on TV in the early 80s with Eddie Doucette defined how low that franchise sunk. At least on radio all Slick has time to say is "Boom, Baby!" or "C'mon, set a pick out there!"

And Slick will work til he dies, because he signed a lifetime services contract when he won ABA titles in the 70s, so they've got to have him do something.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That 1992 win wasn't fixed.

It's just that Ted Valentine is a horrendous referee.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Not that I'd care nearly as much as I did then (young teenager), but as a Knicks fan I'd be happy at this point to see that team be decent enough to form any kind of rivalry. Hell, make it the Bucks.

Ain't no rivalries when you suck.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Tell that to Cubs fans who think they get to claim a rivalry with the Cardinals.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Good rivalry. One of the great sports stories in the last 30 years? No way in hell.

But an overblown sense of importance is endemic to Knicks fans.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To me, the big deal was how Miller would go into the Garden and just destroy the Knicks. Even I, as a Knicks fan, respected Miller for not being intimidated by either the Knicks or their fans, and for backing up his trash talking with Spike.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Like I said, I don't care about personalities. I care about who's the best.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I covered the '94 Eastern Conference Finals. I remember how amazed I was when Patrick Ewing was held to something like two points in Game 3 or 4 (I forget).

When Pacers fans were on it, Market Square Arena was the loudest venue I've ever been to. I remember when Reggie Miller tried a Willis Reed in a '96 first round Game 5 against Atlanta (it didn't work, the Hawks won anyway) after he had been declared out. The roar from the crowd when Miller was announced (it was a game-time decision) was the loudest non-auto racing noise I've ever heard at a sporting event.

I still maintain to this day that Miller was a one-dimensional player. But my God, the one dimension he had was breathtaking.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bubbler -- the game where Ewing had 2 points was game three. I remember it because my wife (then my fiance) and I walked from the 500 parade route (the parade had just finished) to the City Market, whereupon two buddies of Johnny Rutherford bought us lunch because we let them cut in line... Because they were in a hurry to get to the game, too.

The Knicks had Pacers fans juiced, but it also being race time when the games were going on meant the fans were already a little extra juiced, if you know what I mean.

By the way, when they showed the '85 lottery in the doc, they edited it out the part where David Stern bent the Knicks envelope after removing it from a bottle of liquid nitrogen.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And while I'm being fanboy looserish, it was hilarious to see what obscure players would pop up. Hey, there in the suit -- it's Scott Haskin!

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Any Duane Ferrell appearances?

Draft saved Draft deleted