1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winning coach in 91-0 rout catching heat from both sides

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 15, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

as of 2006, a list of all the mercy rules, or lack thereof, in each state. My state doesn't have one either.

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/04/2006_football_rule_312_mercy_rule.aspx

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ours kicks in after halftime. Covered a game a few weeks back where one team led 49-7 at half and didn't get running clock until late in the third.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

There was an 84-0 game between two tiny schools that my former paper covered.

That was in a state with a mercy rule - if a team is leading by 45 points or more at any point after the end of the first half, the game is over.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've covered two just this season. One of the teams I usually cover is 0-6 so far this year.

And, on topic, I feel bad for this coach. He's really between a rock and a hard place. Plus, some of those winning parents need to have an attitude adjustment. One of them said they were upset because their kid didn't get a chance to pad their stats during that game. It's just despicable.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

FWIW, Florida does have a mercy rule. IIRC, it's a 35-point margin, but it doesn't kick in until after halftime. Coach's choice in the third quarter, mandatory in the fourth.

I covered a game down there where the home team was up 28-0 after one, then scored again in the second quarter ... and had the extra point blocked.

They didn't score again.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Thanks.. was just going to say Florida does have a mercy rule

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Illinois started using a mercy rule in soccer last year after a few 16-0, 14-0 soccer matches in recent years.

Last season, in regular season matches only, the second half clock was cut in half when a team had a seven-goal advantage. The state association decided to include postseason games this season.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help too much since I won't be covering any of those games. It's the four-OT regional semifinal, which started at 7 p.m., that really jams me up.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Hazlewood 75, Georgiana 0, 1989 Alabama 2A state championship game.

Opening drive, Georgiana player hits a Hazlewood player way, way out of bounds, pushes him all the way into the fence behind the bench. No penalty. Next play, another flagrant late hit against the hosts.

Hazlewood coach, a pretty mild-mannered guy, turned to an assistant and says "So that's the way they want to play. Turn 'em loose."

Once watched the b&w film of that game. I've never seen such a thorough ass-whipping in any sport at any level.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas has a running clock in 11-man football (I think if the margin is more than 48 points), but both coaches have to agree to it. In 6-man, the game is automatically over as soon as the margin gets to 45 or more points.

10. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

No shit. I have an idea: You don't want to lose 91-0 in football? Play soccer. Or try harder in football.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I love the Illinois running clock rule. I also love that, in Illinois, you have to qualify for the playoffs. While there are still some ass-kickings in the tourney, it cuts down on some of the 77-0 bullshit we see in Indiana during the sectionals.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Worst I ever covered was a 69-7 beatdown a couple years ago. The winning team was one of the best in the state (I think they won the Class 1A state title that year). They didn't have a drive last longer than four plays the entire first half, and mixed in a 99-yard TD run for good measure. The losing team wasn't even that bad -- they went to the playoffs that year -- they were just outclassed and the other team was clicking.
    Talked to the coaches about it a few weeks ago when they played this team again, and they weren't mad about it. They were more in awe.

Now, in a couple weeks, I may get to do a very thorough beating. Two private schools, one heading for a top seed in the playoffs and the other trying for a wild-card spot. They played in the regular season, and the top seed won 43-7. There's a decent chance they'll play again in the first round of the playoffs.
    In the second half of the regular-season game, one of Team A's players had a free run at the punter and went in and blocked the kick. Team A recovered, and scored its last touchdown on the next play. Coach B yells from across the sideline "That's it! Run it up!" and refused to shake Coach A's hand after the game. Now, Coach A hadn't called for a punt block, and was subbing out his starters by the middle of the third quarter. He has been known to do some petty things (he once tanked a baseball game to keep a school he hated out of the playoffs), but generally won't do so without a good reason.
    So that whole incident didn't sit well with Coach A. If they meet in the playoffs, he's vowed to leave his starters in and drop 100 on them if he can.
    Should be a fun game to cover. I'm looking forward to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted