1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

winner's, winners, winners' bracket

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Jul 26, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

For the losers, "bitches bracket" has a nice alliterative ring to it. Though I wouldn't use it for girls sports.

2. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

What about the annoying prep tennis divisions?
    Such as, boys 18 singles

capitalization, punctuation, I think I've written it different every time

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Brecht, you've got some brass ones. You're probably the only guy in 1950s East Germany who made fun of Stalin in public and got away with it.

As far as something like tennis divisions, you can always use the nomenclature that the tournament organizers use. If they call it "Girls 17-18 Singles" then you call it that, too. Sometimes people come up with stupid shit, but at some point, you have to decide to just report and not worry too much about it. I think the main thing is that your paper be consistent when it comes to things like that. Hash it out with your editor(s) and make sure everyone, including deskers, knows the policy.

It's very good that you care about details like this.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. That is why I hate double-elimination tournaments.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I know an easy way to solve this problem. There would be no brackets if they just went to a bowl system. ;)

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

boy's-basketball

wait, scratch that

boy's basket-ball

Draft saved Draft deleted