1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

winner's, winners, winners' bracket

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Jul 26, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Which one is it?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But as someone earlier said, it's not "men basketball." Therefore, we use possessive to maintain consistency.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I daresay lots of papers would hyphenate boys' basketball, bucky.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Hyphenate? Boys-basketball?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did I say that? I meant apostrosize. Geez. It's gonna be a long day.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Gotcha. I thought maybe I was the one who'd lost my mind.

I like "apostrosize," though.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, buck. They DO "own" the bracket. It is the bracket of the winners. Possessive.

Winners' bracket.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You could just use championship bracket and elimination bracket and not have to deal with anyone owning anything.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You can't call it the "losers bracket" or the poor kids will get their feelings hurt. They work just as hard as the winners, you know.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Works in amateur wrestling; not so much in stick-and-ball format, where a team can lose its opening game, play its way back through the losers/elimination/bottom half of the bracket, eventually defeat an undefeated team twice and win the tournament. In wrestling, the best a loser can hope for is usually fifth place.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Yeah, except for, you know, on those scoring plays. And how dare you put it down that my son gave up the winning play! He was supposed to be standing around!

12. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

Buck is right. Here is the entry of the stylebook that should explain it:

DESCRIPTIVE PHRASES: Do not add an apostrophe to a word ending in s when it is used primarily in a descriptive sense: citizens band radio, a Cincinnati Reds infielder, a teachers college, a Teamsters request, a writers guide.

An ’s is required, however, when a term involves a plural word that does not end in s: a children’s hospital, a people’s republic, the Young Men’s Christian Association.

Draft saved Draft deleted