1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winners and losers concerning Favre coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bloggin, Aug 7, 2008.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Of course, ESPN eventually did say (and have on its website) that Michael Smith confirmed the trade. Wow, way to confirm someone else's report!

While I think the coverage was overblown, this was the trading of a future Hall of Famer, NFL record holder and someone who helped bring a storied franchise back to life, so it definitely deserved "more than the usual."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um...my "editor's seat" is a cubicle in some random building. It's not like I'm going to run SportsCenter. I'm a desker. Period.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I felt like a little kid rooting for Glazer to kick Mort's ass.

4. Mizzougrad96

TV wise, the winner was Fox.
    Paperwise, the winner was the Journal-Sentinel.

5. ESPN gradually became Favre's mouthpiece, as it was the only outlet #4 talked to. If you only wanted Favre's side of the story, ESPN was the place for you.

Jay Glazer was solid throughout, and obviously being first to break the trade was a nice coup.

Journal-Sentinel was the best paper to follow (as usual) - good live updates on the Web site and best analysis in the paper.

The biggest loser?
    Me. Pretty soon, it appears I will owe BYH a beer. What's your poison, my man?

6. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

This may be the biggest get of Glazer's career.

The Journal-Sentinel did an amazing job. Kudos to my boy Greg Bedard as well as Tom Silverstein and Bob McGinn.

The Green Bay paper was completely embarrassed. They got their ass kicked.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The big winner: The NFL, leading sports news coverage for about two weeks in the middle of the summer with a story in which no one has been arrested or maimed.

And for all the whining about the over-the-top coverage it's receiving, let me point out that we have three threads with a combined 19 pages and 500 posts on the first Sports & News page of SportsJournalists.com. It's the lead story here, too. Not the Olympics. Not baseball.

8. ESPN radio was brutal. That's all they talked about 24/7, especially Jason Smith (whom I like). So when you pick up a sports page is it 100 percent devoted to one topic? I'm guessing the Green Bay paper even had some other sports news in it. ESPN radio was focusing probably 90 percent of 24 hour coverage on Favre.

Just horrific. Believe it or not, some of us don't care about the Packers, don't like Favre, could care less about where he's going or playing.

Assuming that 100 percent of your listeners like one topic is ignorant.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

MMQB will soon have a recap of "Peter and Brett enjoy a latte at a Montclair Starbucks".

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Even the NFL Network was crediting Fox Sports with breaking the deal.

11. Mizzougrad96

Fox was alone on this for about 90 minutes. These days, on a story of this caliber, that is huge.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. The NFL Network peddles "Adam Schefter reports" as tirelessly as ESPN does with its various talking heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted