1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winners and losers concerning Favre coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bloggin, Aug 7, 2008.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Yes, it's another eeeeeeevilllllllll FOX News conspiracy. ::)

Actually, he sat down with Van Sustern because she was a Packers fan and had interviewed Favre before.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/favregreta.html

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Effin' overkill.

I was working out this morning in the hotel weight room and probably 35 out of the 44 minutes of SportsCenter was All Favre All the Time. Their pathetic excuse for a PGA Championship preview consisted of Linda Cohn reading over video of Vijay swinging that "even with no Tiger, 144 of the world's best players are at Oakland Hills for the PGA Championshp."

No shit. Nice freakin' preview of a major. I guess Scott Van Pelt had to keep IJAG's editor's seat warm and monitor text messages from the field or something.

The only thing I can think of is ESPN was so pissed at getting beat on this story that they figured they'd flood the zone to make up for it.

As DSG said, we're all losers here. This was overkill to the zth degree.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It was a theory.

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I admit it.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I just find it funny that for all the resources that ESPN used just to cover Favre's plane schedule, that they got beat on the trade story.

5. Glazer is Thompson's guy.

Mort is Bus Cook's guy.

Werder and PK were Favre's guys.

Bob McGinn and Tom Silverstein did a great job for beat writers.

Clifton Brown from TSN was the first to report that the Jets were in the mix yesterday.

The Green Bay paper got its ass kicked on all aspects of the story. They were two steps behind the entire way. Pretty embarrassing for the hometown paper.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Story: Overblown to the point that I'm speechless describing it beyond that.

Glazer: Give him his credit; he has a lot of good sources, and he breaks a lot of stuff, and it's not just because of his Foxness.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I will say that for the plethora of ESPN coverage (BREAKING NEWS: Brett Favre tied his shoe), it made me infinitely happy to see Glazer get the story.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I think ESPN.com deserves props for crediting FoxSports.com late last night when ESPN got beat. That's way better than pretending you had it first when you didn't.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Glazer did a great job.

10. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Tampa Tribune: Wrong again?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fox wins, for at least it knew that the story was always the Packers' to play. Always.

ESPN is a huge loser, for anybody who's paid the least bit attention. Having two of your top analysts (Smith and Clayton) boast that hell would freeze over before Favre would sign with the Jets looks awful. Clayton's declaration was complete buffoonery, and Smith's arrogance was disappointing.

Beyond it, ESPN continues to indulge in the kind of "we can MAKE the news" fantasy nonsense that's persisted for years at that network. It pumped up the Vikings angle out of sheer, wishful "the biggest MNF opener EVAH!" thinking. That was never going to happen in 20 million years, everybody knew it, and yet Clayton still listed it as option No. 1 for Favre as of yesterday.

Sadly, competing media fails to hit ESPN hard enough for this kind of journalism. ESPN routinely gets away with irresponsible and downright inaccurate opinionated speculation

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Co-signed, to the 1000th degree.

Even better that they were forced to report Fox broke it.

Draft saved Draft deleted