1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winner of most awkward late-night interview...Joaquin Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon, Feb 12, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sure this is really just a funny joke, but Joaquin changed his first name from Leaf, so he is his brother Leaf.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This seems like the most plausible theory. And I just read today that Afleck (one f or two?) was there with a camera.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And if so, who will be his Jerry Lawler? Eminem?

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

As I said, he's the best at those types of interviews. But check out his monologue most nights or his level of interest with run-of-the-mill guests. There are nights when he's just mailing it in.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

He has to be on something. And as the link SmallTownGuy posted suggests, it's pretty shitty of Affleck to allow this to go on for his "mockumentary" if that is the case. But who knows, maybe it's all an act. But if it is, it's really good.
    Letterman handled it brilliantly.
    "The kid in the front row is drunk on warm Pepsi."

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Joaquin Phoenix has a long way to go before he can touch the genius of the first Inter-Gender World Wrestling Champion.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I thought that as well.

Crispin Glover by KO.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Crispin won hands down. That interview will go down as one of the most famous late-night bits in history. Hell, Farrah Fawcett's meltdown was more hilarious than this, although it was fun to watch.

I don't have the link, but on the Entertainment Weekly website one of the commenters said that he was at that taping with Joaquin and Joaquin and Dave were joking during the ads and that Joaquin's demeanor was much different off camera.

I'm pretty sure this is a big hoax designed to drum up interest in Joaquin's post-movie career

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Still my favorite Letterman moment, though there have been so many.....

Love Sonny crying at the end. I'm right there with you, bud. Every time.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Finally watched the Joaquin interview. While Dave was great with his barbs, what made me crack up the most was when Dave asked Joaquin to set up the clip and Paul guffaws off-screen, then the subsequent look on Joaquin's face to Paul.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Paris Hilton interview where Dave prods her about her jail stay is another good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted