1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wingnuts, start your gloat engines!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

URGENT
    Liberal talk radio network Air America files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
    Eds: Moving on general news, entertainment and financial services.
    NEW YORK (AP) — Air America Radio, a liberal talk and news radio network, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, a network official told the AP.
    The network had denied rumors just a month ago that it would file for bankruptcy, but on Friday Air America said negotiations with a creditor from the company’s early days had broken down.
    The network will stay on the air while it resolves issues with its creditors, spokeswoman Jaime Horn told the Associated Press. A formal announcement was expected to be made later Friday.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What about corporate welfare?

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it drives me nuts how people confuse bankruptcy with insolvency. bankruptcy is basically a legal maneuver. it doesn't mean they're broke or they're about to go under although it's obviously not a good sign. wasn't united airlines in bankruptcy for years?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, isn't every major airline in the US in bankruptcy, or close to it, right now?

5. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There are now liberal talkers (Stephanie Miller, Ed Schmitt?) that get better numbers than the AA folks. Randi Rhodes probably could, too (Premier Radio Network was once interested in her, but Limbaugh threatened to bolt if they signed her - after all, she was beating him in their mutual West Palm home base).

7. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I thought this was a Tommy Tuberville thread.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Correct. Bankruptcy doesn't equal insolvency. Barings Bank became insolvent in the 90s, thanks to Nick Leeson's crazy ass. Bankruptcy is a tool used to change a company's debt structure.

*help me out if I'm wrong here, FirstDownPirates*

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're thinking of Ed Schultz.

Tom Leykis used to be good, but he's gone off the deep end. Alan Colmes too, but he's nothing but Hannity's bitch boy.

Of the AA folk, the only one I really like is Rhodes. Her show will outlive Air America, if/when they pull the plug. Franken is, to me, interesting but kind of boring.

Of course, the local AA affiliate was bought out and is now Catholic radio. (And wouldn't you know it, they switched the day the Foley mess blew up.) But what do you expect? This is Texas.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Happened here in Ohio too. AA was there for a few months, then Christians swooped in and took it over with out much of an announcement.

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I always thought it was kind of a dumb idea anyhow. Nonsensical blathering that has no basis in reality and unvarnished political spin is all horseshit, if it's coming from conservatives or liberals. Besides, there have been studies that show the people who listen to talk radio are generally conservative, liberal types would rather listen to news programming....so they're making something for an audience that wasn't interested in it.

12. Maybe they made a bunch of announcements but since AA has/had no audience - nobody heard them.

Draft saved Draft deleted