1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

winfield on steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jul 17, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That doesn't surprise me at all. Anyone who had to be introduced as "Baseball's greatest living player" has an ego the size of the five boroughs.

And I think the Joe D bio by Cramer pretty much destroyed his sainted rep.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And how about Joe D always demanding the the BBWAA pay his expenses to the writers dinner, have a limo waiting to pick him up the second he stepped off the plane, have a suite at the Waldorf, have no contact with anyone other than those who were running the dinner.
    A former NY chapter chairman told me there was no one more difficult to deal with at a BBWAA dinner than the sainted Joe D.
    [/quote]

Heck, I remember reading somewhere that DiMaggio got pissed off one time at the Yankees' Old-Timers Day because he wasn't introduced last. And the reason why was because the Yankees were honoring Mantle right before he died.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OMG! The guy pulled a prick move 25 years ago! What an asshole!

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Not much could have beaten Gary Carter, during those interminably long introductions of EVERY Hall of Famer, alive or not (seemed like), wearing his Expos cap and waving his Mets cap.

I thought he had already sunk to his lowest, but I had to laugh out loud at that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted