1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jan 18, 2007.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Did you have a budget of 12 dollars or something?

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Here's a question for the apparent wine connoisseurs on here:

What's a good wine to buy? How much does it cost per bottle?

The reason I ask is the girlfriend and I have been drinking more wine recently and dammit if I haven't found one that I really like. Granted, we've only bought wine on 3 occasions, but all 3 times the wine tasted like crapola.

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

You said you knew nothing about wine prior to today. Hopefully, you now know that Carlo Rossi wine in multi-liter jugs is bad wine. So, you now know something about wine. It wasn't a total loss...

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You can get a very good bottle of wine for $10-15 actually. My wife and I (well, just me for the next eight months) usually pick up a Shiraz by Penfolds. It's a little stout, but it isn't bitter. I'm not much of a white wine drinker, but I was served a Chardonnay by Alamos over Chirstmas that was quite tasty. Neither bottle should put you back more than $10-15.

I stay away from the blush wines (white zinfendel as an example), but if you find you like those, don't pay too much for them. There's not much difference between the cheap bottle and the one over $6.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

My job sucks, my car doesn't warm up fast enough, my friends are all boring, and I can't sleep.

Oh, right. Wine. Sorry!

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Wine is a very acquired taste. My family always has wine at family gatherings and I used to HATE it, but I've grown to really enjoy white wines. I cook with a lot of white wines so I usually have a pinot grigio on hand, but I enjoy a good Chardonnay, too.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

The stuff in the box has always tasted better to me than anything considered "good" or "fancy".

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Anything from Alexander Valley is top-notch taste -- but not top-shelf price.

Good stuff all.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I can understand...I have had a $40 bottle of chardonnay sitting in my fridge next to a 12 pack of Budweiser.

I don't really like the high-brand beers.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ewww...
    Tastes too plastic and chemical...

11. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Spup is right, wine is very much an acquired taste. If you're looking to move beyond the low end stuff (wine that comes in a box or with a handle), but don't want to spend a lot, there's plenty of good stuff in the $7-10 range. Australian stuff can be good in that range, and tends to be more fruit driven, which is good for people new to wine. Some of the more expensive wines will taste like ass to those who haven't acquired a taste for wine, so don't waste your money. Start with some inexpensive stuff, ask the people at your local grocery store or wine shop, and just find what works for you.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Kokane: For between $10-15 a bottle, there's more different types of tasty wine than you could drink in a lifetime. Up to $20, several lifetimes.
    Experiment. Once you find one you like, go to the store and ask the clerk about wines that are similiar. Before you know it, you'll know more about wine than almost everyone you know, just by sampling.
    I

Draft saved Draft deleted