1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wine Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Thank you guys. :) I think I need to start finding those half bottles, because Mr. Lugs doesn't drink it, and I only like the occasional one glass.

Speaking of Merlot... man, the prices on it have been great since Sideways. If you can deal with the cringes from pretentious friends... there's your bargain right there.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I keep some single serve bottles of white zin in my house for when my mother or mother-in-law visit. I'm not sure what labels bottle red wine by the single serve bottle (or if it's any good), but I'm glad they have them for blushes.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You can buy a wine closer that comes with a small pump to remove air. Your wine will last longer. The gizmo is dirt cheap and you can buy them at any kitchen gadget place.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

If you can find a good Barolo, it's worth it.

And reds depend on whether you want heavy - a shiraz, even a cabernet, or something lighter, like a pinot noir

and if you can, decant your reds. makes a world of difference

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm with Dools. I'm a big fan of reislings -- the sweeter the better. Honestly, I never really notice a difference in price. Seven bucks is fine with me.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There is one winery in Martinez, CA., called Viano. Been there forever. Their tasting room has 2 wine barrels with a plank of wood across it. Just my style.
    Zinfandel is their bread-and-butter wine. They have a sign in the tasting room that says: "If you think you want Merlot, you really want Zinfandel." I love their reds.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Ideally, you're doing the three_bags deal where you're finishing it that night. However, I often don't finish the wine and it usually keeps at least a day before falling off very much. I have found that the Woodbridge wine in the big bottles will keep a while, so I buy that for my daily glass or two, where I'm not going to have a whole bottle.

8. paris trout

paris trout Member

If you're having a tasting, you can't go wrong picking a couple of varietals and buying three or four bottles, each from a different region/appelation. You might spend a few bucks, but you'll get it back with conversation and the undying respect of your guests. Plus, it's more fun.
    Try this: Buy three bottles of syrah/shiraz -- one from the Russian River Valley (maybe Arrowwood or Novy), one from the central coast (qupe is a good one) and one from Australia (two hands, as mentioned, is strong, as are mollydooker and Peter Lehman). Do the same with another varietal and everyone will have a chance to taste the difference in wines made from the same grape but grown in different regions.
    Unless you have serious white wine drinkers, I'd keep it to red. Part of that is personal preference, and part is knowing how mixing the two can result in a massive headache the next day. Cabernet and syrah work well together in a tasting, but go with the syrah first and then the cab, which is less fruity and more tannic.

9. Lugnuts

expendable, HC, and OTD... thanks. will do those suggestions.

I was out in Oregon several years ago in the Willamette Valley and bought a bottle of award-winning pinot. It's been sitting sideways in my basement for several years. It's peaking now. I keep meaning to open it, but since Mr. Lugs doesn't drink wine....

I keep feeling like I'm waiting for that special occasion but I'll end up going to a fast food joint. ;D

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Nice reference.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Bring it out here and I'll be glad to share it with you!

I opened a bottle a couple weeks ago that had peaked . . . not quite vinegar yet, but it was pretty bad. I hate when that happens.

12. Lugnuts

OH my gosh, I need to open it NOW, don't I?

That does it, I'm opening it tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted