1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wine Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Two/Three Buck Chuck is swill. I have a TJs in my town and people line up for it like it is manna from heaven. If you happen to go to TJs, they have an Amarone for $14.99 which tastes as good as a $40 bottle.

I agree on the Coppola Claret -- a very good value. I have been drinking a lot of red blends recently -- recently I've been into an $18 bottle called The Black Chook, an Aussie blend of, I think, Shiraz and a small amount of Vigoner. The Greg Norman red blends are very good as well. Found a bottle of the '97 Jordan in the wine fridge which I didn't realize that I had -- a great bottle of wine.

For years, the Escudo Rojo was my go to $12-15 bottle, but i haven't seen it in a little bit.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Steele Winery from California makes a line called Writer's Block (appropriately enough). There are three or four different varieties and the Pinot Noir stood out. The other stuff wasn't bad, either.

From Canada, I had a good red when I was Penticton, B.C. Too bad I can't remember the name.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Has anyone tried Canaletto or Yamula? They are red wines and suggested to me by someone.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"The tuck rule is so lame."

Oh wait ... this is about WINE ....

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hey hey hey - I've got a question for you wine folk.

I uncork a bottle of red. I have one glass and re-cork it. It sits on the counter, unrefrigerated, obviously.

How long's it good for?

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Once a bottle is uncorked, it should go straight to the fridge. Even then, I wouldn't let it go longer than a day or two.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

NO FUCKING MERLOT!

But definitely reisling. A white with extraordinary character, and every brand I've tried has had its own unique twist. And you can get quality for like $10-12

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We have a rule in this house. When a bottle's opened, it's not re-corked. We just haven't had very much luck with it.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Drinks before dinner, wine with dinner
    After dinner drinks
    Single entendre, help me Rhonda
    Look for my cufflinks
    Come with me and you will see
    That it all will be all right
    Rudolph the red nosed wino is gonna guide my sleigh tonight

10. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

It depends a lot on the wine, but I'd agree that a day or two is usually as long as most opened wines will be good. If in doubt just give it a try, and if it doesn't taste right, pour it out (or cook with it). It's not going to make you sick or anything, it'll just start to taste funky.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You may have to change your handle to Wineglass.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn, that brought me back...

Draft saved Draft deleted