1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wine Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I need some advice, recommendations.

I am wondering if people on these boards can suggest to me favourite types of wine or what wine they would recommend.

I have to give some as presents and also have a wine and cheese party taking place at my place in the next month for family and a couple of really close friends coming from overseas.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

mrs. shockey and i are big fans of santa margerita's pinot grigio. 8)

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I really like box wine.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seriously, though, I tried this kind at a wine tasting and really liked it. I personally don't like white wine at all, but I do like red wine as long as it doesn't have too harsh of a kick at the end.

Here is a short summary about this wine, actually the label:

[​IMG]

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Very good wine.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's kinda an open ended question.

I'd suggest you go to your local liquor store, find someone who knows something about wine, tell them what kind of cheeses you're serving and get some recommendations.

You'll want a selection of white, red and maybe a rose

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Fixed

Seriously, I don't drink much wine but my wife like Rieslings.

8. Cracker

Cracker Guest

A very good, inexpensive wine in my opinion is the Black Swan merlot/shiraz mix (the purple label). Very good stuff, and usually only $10-11 for a 1.5 liter.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Asolutely love it, shock!

For a little less money, I'm also a big fan of the Franncis Ford Coppola pinot grigio.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Laugh all you want, but Trader Joe's "three buck chuck" has always gone down real easy. It's their Charles Shaw line of wines. The cabernet was only ok, but the chardonnay is delightful. And it's only around three bucks a bottle.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am drinking a Bogle Merlot now and it's OK... Usually drink Beaujolais Villages by Louis Jadot or any of the red wines from Penfolds.

I stay away from Reisling only because I find it too sweet.

Went to Costco today and stocked up with several bottles of wine.

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Since I really started getting into wine, I figured I'd eschew an actual wine journal (though I have one) and just made a new site on Blogger.

I focus mainly on whites, since I've yet to have a red I like and the reds give migraines to my wife.

At any rate, my top five of an admittedly limited selection:

Joseph Drouhin Laforet Bourgogne Chardonnay ($15 a bottle and probably the best wine I've ever had)
    Picket Fence Chardonnay
    Big Fire Pinot Gris
    Washington Hills Riesling (just had that tonight)
    Trinity Pinot Gris

And, as a bonus: A To Z Pinot Grigio.

Draft saved Draft deleted