1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windsor (Ontario) Star "apologizes without reservation" for error

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Aug 2, 2012.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Here's the link: http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Windsor+Star+apologizes+Croteau+family/7020643/story.html

In a story headlined “Foster kids urge changes to system,” "The Star wrongly said that Lauren had been sexually and verbally abused by her father before entering the care of the Children’s Aid. The Star subsequently learned that the reporter misunderstood Lauren Croteau and she in fact had not been abused by her father."

Man, I wouldn't want to be in that reporter's shoes. That is a stunning error.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

COMMUNICATION!!!!!!

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Her dad did say she's the best kisser, though.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Despite possibly being mildly offended, I found that to be pretty damn solid.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And that is one hell of a mistake. Yikes.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Ah, that's nothin'. We had a guy winning a race in dedication to his dead father a couple months ago.

The next day, the mom called and informed us "I'm currently sitting next to the deceased."

Turns out he was quite alive. You don't have to be dead for someone to dedicate something to you.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

An amusing story, but I'd say libeling someone in the worst way imaginable would trump giving some anonymous person the Abe Vigoda treatment.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did the reporter say "alledgedly"?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How does it get that far? Don't allegations of abuse lead to follow up questions that would eventually cause someone to go, "Whoa. What??"

Am I missing something?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's what happens when you lay off all the copy desk editors. [/crossthread]

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Wow. So why did she enter the care of the Children's Aid? Or was that wrong, too?

12. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

The Windsor Star is part of Postmedia News, which is in serious trouble.
    They are moving all desk work to a sweat shop in Hamilton, Ont. as of Aug. 15. No more local copy editing, except for I believe Vancouver where the Sun and Province have strong unions. I maybe wrong about that.
    At the Calgary Herald, for example, 23 editors are being kicked out the door as of mid August, or in two weeks.
    The Herald, Montreal Gazette, Edmonton Journal, Ottawa Citizen and National Post (am I missing a paper) no longer publish Sunday editions.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/paul-godfrey-explains-the-postmedia-strategy/article4216586/

Draft saved Draft deleted