1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windshield rock chip repair cost?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Dec 2, 2007.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Driving down the freeway the other day, something bounced off the back of a big rig and took a small chunk out of my windshield. Damaged area is not larger than a dime, but I don't want it to start spider-cracking.

Any idea what it cost to repair?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Typically, it's about $50 - if it can be fixed.

Some of them can't be filled, and while they're not the most sightly of things, not all of them run.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

If it hasn't started running yet, it probably won't.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I usually pay about $50. If you can find one, go to a place that only repairs chips, and doesn't sell windshields. The repair-only places are less likely to tell you it's in a place where it can't be repaired, since they're not going to sell you a windshield anyway.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Just did this. If it is smaller than a quarter, it is repairable and $50.
    I had it done by a mobile guy. He came to the house and did right in the front.
    If it runs, which I've had happen before, you have to replace the windshield. If it runs and is and obstruction to the driver (mine was), the troopers or highway patrol will make you fix it.
    Good luck.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Glass coverage, people. If it's available in your state, get it added to your auto insurance.

No deductible.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Call your insurance agent and chances are they'll cover it for free. If you don't have it fixed and it runs, replacing the windshield will cost a lot more, and you could file an insurance claim because it was a rock on the highway. My insurance company paid it with no questions asked.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hold off on that sentiment until the first hard freeze (if applicable).

9. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I would pay to have a windshield problem, if it meant that some dickless wonder hadn't barreled into my car last night and crushed in the driver's side door ... and jetted with nary a word. Happened two days before I was due to take the car in for another repair that *was* my fault. That's right, kids: Separate incidents, $500 deductible apiece.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. I didn't know that until I took my car to Jiffy Lube for a lube, oil and filter once -- they offered to repair it on the spot, asked whether I had insurance, got my company on the phone and took it from there. They basically filled the chunk -- smaller than a dime -- right then and there.

11. I've had a few repaired by a company called Safelite I think. They'll come to you (for no extra charge) to do the repair. I think they're somewhat nationwide, and they have a national lifetime guarantee on the repair.

From what I remember, I think what they say is that if it's the crack and/or chip is smaller than a dollar bill in size they can fix it. But there are certain kinds of cracks and/or chips that they can't fix.

I think they cost around $50. Certainly no more than $100.

For what it's worth, my mechanically inclined dad swears that when you have to replace a windshield they can never get the replacement in as well as the original fit in. Based on the one time I had to have a windshield replaced because the rock made a huge crack right away, I'd have to agree with him.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I had a little crack and got the whole windshield replaced under the homeowners' policy.

Didn't cost me a dime.

Draft saved Draft deleted