1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windshield replacement: At home, work or the shop?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Dec 15, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I had this done at my house a few months ago. Got it fixed and haven't had a problem since.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've been driving significantly longer than you, BBAM, and luckily, I've never had to have a windshield or glass replaced.

My parents just had to get this done about a month ago. Had to have the whole windshield replaced. It was all covered under insurance with no deductible.

Anyway, after you get it done, you can't slam the door shut for about a day and you have to leave one of the windows cracked a bit. Otherwise, it creates a vacuum.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm not in Illinois, but I remember a conversation with someone who used to live in Chicago. Her windshield got totally smashed up one day and someone reminded her to go to Frank's. Within one hour, she had a brand new windshield and zero signs that there was ever a problem. She paid $60 for it. Granted, that was a few years ago, but still. Most windshields were much more expensive even then.

I don't know if it's still open, but she said people call it Frank's Kick-Ass Auto Glass.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've found as cheap at $197 with Safelite and as expensive at $350.

Unfortunately, my insurance won't cover it deductible free. Therefore, it's cheaper for me to not get the insurance people involved.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Unfortunately, I live in the part of Illinois that is forgotten ... the part south of I-80.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bring it to one of the guys who thinks global warming is a myth.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

If you live in a climate where cold snaps are a regular occurrence, don't bother getting it done until the spring.

Unless the crack mars your visibility.

I'm still hanging onto the 'crack' left by a homerun ball. I'm not too worried.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

most places i've seen in the metroplex will replace the windshield at whatever the price is less the insurance deductible (usually $50) just to get the business.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

veering off topic a little, prep baseball team i used to cover played at a field where foul balls did all kinds of damage. of course locals knew this and would park accordingly and visitor fans usually suffered. while shooting photos near the visitor dugout i offered $50 to any kid who could foul one off the windshield of a jaguar that was owned by a bitch local.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I thought it was OK until the crack (does anyone else giggle when they read that word?) reached (even better) from one side to the other side.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Did you pay out?

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Most places where I am will take it for the glass deductable, but my insurance only pays for repairs, not replacements. Boo Progressive. Yay Geico. Except Geico is way more expensive for my truck. So scratch that.

Draft saved Draft deleted