1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windshield replacement: At home, work or the shop?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This most recent cold snapped put the crack in my front windshield on the brink of trouble. The crack stretches from the lower left corner, up a few inches, across the length of the window, and back down to the lower right corner. It's not reached the edge of the window yet ... YET.

Question: Has anyone had someone come to their home or place of work to have a windshield replaced? How'd that work out for you? One of the ladies I work with said something about you should have it done at a shop, not have the truck come to you. But, quite frankly, she'll full of shit more often than not so I'm looking for a second opinion ... come to think of it, I didn't ask for her opinion, she just gave it.

Anyways ... what say you?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If you're dealing with a significant temperature-variation situation, I urge you to go to a reputable shop.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I had them come and replace it while I was at work, but they didn't get the rubbery seal on right and it flapped in the breeze.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

That's what she said.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I'm in central Illinois. It's usually not a problem. I've been driving for 11 years (I know, I know, not all that long) but I've never had to replace a windshield.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I have had it done at work. No problems. Just make sure you're going to have sufficient time for all the work to cure before you drive again.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had it done while I was at work with no problem. They said I could drive it whenever I was ready to (and I did without problem). The only thing they told me when I called for the appointment was that, if I didn't have a garage (which I don't), to make sure to schedule it for a day when I'd have 24 hours without rain.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Here they seem to do it mostly at your home or office. But like others have said, you have to have some period without wet weather. Easy to do here (although not today) but harder other places.

I haven't noticed any difference in the quality between a driveway or a shop job. You can hire an idiot to work either way.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

One of my very best friends has been in the windshield replacement business for 20 years. (Always has a couple of rocks in the back seat.) Makes absolutely no difference where this is done. Anyone knows what they're doing is capable of doing a fine job in your driveway or in their shop.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A strong breeze, dammit. Like a tornado.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Take it to the shop.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Care to elaborate?

Draft saved Draft deleted