1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windows XP Service Pack 2 question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Forgive my computer illiteracy on this one...

Support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 ends on Oct. 10 and I haven't installed Service Pack 2 yet (due to all the problems people were having with it).

Is it OK to go-ahead and install that worry-free now? Or should I back-up my hard drive just in case?

2. Bear

Bear New Member

I, too, would like to know the answer to this question.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Umm, yeah. I think, especially since Vista is coming out, that the bugs have more or less been worked out.
    After you install SP2, be sure to run Windows Update and fix the fixes...

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Do it, you'll be better off for it.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I'd say get it. I've had it for months with no problems.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Yes, install SP2. I've had no problems either at work or at home with it.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Just something I've put off doing, especially when the bugs were being worked out. Never got around to putting it in ...

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm about to start the process of backing up everything important on my hard drive and then making an appointment to have someone come over and upgrade me to SP2. I'm pretty computer literate, but I've heard horror stories about problems upgrading to SP2 - so I'm leaning toward getting a computer pro over to install it for me off the disc I ordered.
    So... how many programs and files are lost during the upgrade to SP2?

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Good Lord, you shouldn't lose any.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I had zero problems, I believe.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

An appointment?
    If your worried, save your files on disc, run the program, then run WIndows Update. Unless your computer or programs are corrupt, there should be no problem./

12. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

That's a good one Slappy - "that the bugs have more or less been worked out."

To steal from Allen Iverson - "We're talking about Microsoft man..."

Whenever you are applying a patch or SP from Microsoft, always, always, always back up your system first.

In a previous life I worked for a software company that built data protection software on the Windows platform. One of our mandates to customers was to always back up their systems before applying any fix from Microsoft. I've seen too many cases where SPs or patches have hosed somebody's system.

Draft saved Draft deleted