1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SFIND, Jul 31, 2015.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Have any fellow tech-savvy SJ's upgraded to Windows 10 yet? I'm curious if you have what you experiences are and how fast/long the upgrading process took.

The early reviews look good. It seems to run very smooth and fast. Some of the new features like the addition of Cortana and the virtual desktops look really cool and useful to me.

I'm one of the few that liked Windows 8, so much so that I bought a Windows Phone as well. I will probably upgrade to 10, but I'm waiting awhile to make sure no big vulnerability or some other unforeseen problem comes to light here soon after the launch.

I've read some bitching that it's default security settings allow Microsoft to collect personal data from a user, but it looks like it's easy enough to change settings and opt-out of the data collection. And it's not like Google and others haven't been doing the same thing for awhile. I've also read speculations from some people that think Microsoft is going to start charging people for updates to 10 in a few years, but I don't think it's anything more than their own imaginations.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I did it earlier this week. Super easy upgrade. And no issues so far. Like having the traditional start button back.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The upgrade took me about 30 minutes - over a clean high speed Internet connection. A neighbor said it took him about 50 minutes for his upgrade.

The new system is fast and the new browser is much better than Internet Explorer was. Definitely worth doing...

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I haven't done it yet. On another board it's been mostly positive reviews except for the fact that it doesn't support Microsoft Money, a program I use instead of Quicken. There's a workaround for it, but until I'm sure of all the details I'm reluctant to upgrade.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I know two people who had failed installations. One was able to revert back to her previous version of Windows (not sure if it was 7 or 8) but the other wasn't and had to take it into a repair place for them to look at (not sure of the resolution). I think I'm going to wait.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I haven't moved to Windows 10 yet, and based on the negative reviews I've gotten from Facebook and a particularly computer savvy roommate, I doubt I will for the time being.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about buying a home computer. Is Atari better than Intellivision?

jpetrie18 likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Commodore 64s are going cheap, Buck.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Who's up for a game of Jumpman?

11. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Update: GMail and Google Docs didn't play 100 percent nicely with Windows 10 the first week I had it, but those problems seem to have gone away. Biggest problem now is the "popular news" search box popping up at random. For now, I've turned search off via a right-click on the taskbar. Other than that, I've had a good experience with Windows 10.

EDIT: The "popular news" search box (a.k.a. Cortana) coming up has nothing to do with the visibility of the search box on the taskbar. If using a touchpad, a three-finger tap brings it up. You have to go into your touchpad settings and disable three-finger tap in order to avoid random Cortana pop-ups.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I upgraded the house's common PC (a 23-inch HP all-in-one) to Windows 10 tonight. I really like it so far. It runs very smooth -- as smooth as Windows 8 ran it before. I left the room after I started the update process and didn't come back until it was ready for setup, but I think it took about an hour. Not bad considering this computer (a consumer model with cheap AMD processor). This setup was easy, OneDrive synced easily with my account, old programs like Office 2013, Firefox, Chrome, CCleaner, etc. transferred over and are working fine. In my limited use so far, Cortana seems to work even quicker than it does on my Windows Phone.

I'm still going to hold off until probably this winter before upgrading on my personal/work laptops. I am going to upgrade my cheap Acer Aspire Switch 10 soon, though. I'll be curious to see Windows 10 on a tablet.

Draft saved Draft deleted