1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winding down...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Aug 20, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

It's not really fair, we use ungodly 10-point font on the pages.
    The main 4A school in the area gets about six stories on it. (I did those).
    Then there's a big records section by a local guy who has done them since the 70s. That takes up probably 25 pages.
    Each school has an overview and a feature. (I did five.)
    The JuCO has about five stories. Ads take up a lot of space. There's a lot and it's impressive that they sell them, but I don't think they cost a lot. For example, you can buy an ad in the main news hole at our paper for $200.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

10-point font? Why don't they shrink the font size and do less pages?
    Is the agate run in 10-point font also?

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

No, the agate is in a nice 8 or possibly 7.5.
    I'm not sure why it's done the way it's done. I suggested a font change, but no dice.
    A while ago — before I got there — the font was around 9.5 in the paper, but the old editor decided it was too small for the old farts in our neighborhood. It's now 10.25.
    We also have 30-point jumpheds. JUST IN CASE YOU CAN'T FIND THE REST OF THE STORY.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Holy shit. 30-point jump heads? And agate at 8?
    I bitched about having 7-point agate at my old paper.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is NOT a gloat, merely a fact. I did my wars with these sections for a lot of years -- but boy, I don't miss 'em at all.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My editor is trying to wrap up the last four pages with just 30 minutes until it prints. Makes for fun times when the higher ups keep coming back and yelling at us to hurry up.
    So close to pizza and beer.

7. Must be nice to be done (or close). I've got until 4 p.m. Monday to finish a 44-page (full-color) broadsheet section. I had to warn my ME today about how much overtime I'm gonna have. His mouth dropped.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

rock on, colton. have one for me!

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Pressboxramblings07: What is this "overtime" thing of which you speak?

Spaceman: Thanks, bud.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that hurry up shit still pisses me off just reading it.

i heard it used on other guys when i was a writer and told myself i'd never say that shit once i became an editor. i have, but only once ... and that fucker deserved it. :D

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

TP: Couldn't agree with you more. Good for you.

12. 212areacode

212areacode Member

After a project like that, I always go get a cheerleader or an ex-spice girl and wind down. Don't know about the rest of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted