1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winding down...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Walter: well done, sir.

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

You only say that because you haven't seen the tab yet.

3. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Typical size of preps football preview in a typical Canadian paper?

Quarter page. Maybe. Likely as an advance the day of the first scheduled games.

As someone said, it depends on where you are.

(But, seriously, you ever think 40-50 pages on high school football might be a bit much? Just sayin’).

4. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Again, it all depends on your location.

Our magazine-sized preview publishes today. It's 64 pages, with full color throughout. We preview 35 high school teams with 12-14 inch stories and charts on each one. There are two anchor stories, two columns and '06 standings and stats. We switched to this format last year (same number of pages), and the feedback was outstanding. This year, we added seven college previews (two I-A programs, a I-AA and four D-III teams) and previews of two regional NFL teams. We think the readers will like it. They can't get enough football.

We also have three other football-related sections to come in the next 10 days, not to mention a football-intensive Web presence that is about to enter its second season.

Football-centric? Absolutely. Unless you live and work where football is king, it might seem a bit much. But trust me -- our readers demand it and we're supplying it.

5. 56 pages on 11 schools?

Holy crap.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

For once in my life I win...

128 pages for 10 schools and a JUCO

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, you win the overkill award.

8. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

So three stories about the offensive line are too many?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

clutch retort, very clutch.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think my eyes are about to start bleeding from proofing the tab. I just wish it was over.

And BB, how in the hell do you fill 128 pages?

11. 128 page special section for a 5,500 circ paper?

I don't know what to say.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Unfortunately, Bertolt is the only one reading the entire 128 pages. Jesus on the Throne that's a lot of stuff.

We had four pages broadsheet for five schools. My last paper had a 64-page tab for 21 high schools. It's much nicer now.

Draft saved Draft deleted