1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winchester, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KaraokeC, Jun 5, 2007.

1. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

from journalismjobs.com. thoughts?

An athlete with that rare combination of inherent talent and a desire to succeed is someone any sports reporter would love to cover. That’s the same type of person The Winchester Star wants out of its next sports reporter. Do you have the talent, but also the willingness to learn from an experienced staff to grow? Do you have the desire and the energy to succeed? Then you may be the right person to help provide the most complete and vivid coverage of local sports in Virginia’s northern Shenandoah Valley six mornings a week. E-mail a resume and clips to bford@winchesterstar.com or mail them to The Winchester Star c/o Bobby Ford, Managing Editor, 2 N. Kent St., Winchester VA 22601.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I'd have a hard time working for anyone who could produce those first three sentences and allow them to be published on a national Web site.

Jesus. What is it that makes small-paper MEs and publishers think they have to reinvent the wheel with frickin' job ads?

Honestly.

It's as if it was written in English, badly translated into Japanese and then Babel-fished back to English. It's like a car wreck...I can't turn away.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

don't know anything about the paper, but poorly written job ads aside, Winchester is in a beautiful part of the world. . . at least from a landscape point of view, you could do much worse.

That being said, don't know a darn thing about the job, Northern Virginia just holds a special place in my heart.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pott's Picks says,

"You're hired!"

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

This has the Dawg's name all over it.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I second Blood's view of the city. Gorgeous. Paper's not too bad, and you also have access to the WaPo, Richmond Times-Dispatch, and NY Times, Daily News and Post.

So if you're a news junkie, not a bad place to be.

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Don't forget the Free Press and the Shenandoah Valley Herald, steveu

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Just to clarify: It's Northern Virginia in the technical sense in that it's about the northern-most town you'll find in the state. But it's not near the DC suburbs of Northern Virginia.

Just in case anyone reading this isn't up on their Old Dominion geography.

9. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

northern-most geographically, but certainly not culturally. i fully support sawdogg for this opening. or for president. you know, wherever sawdogg deems it best to apply his considerable skills.

what's that smell?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This is like the median job in Virginia -- preps writer at a 20K daily. Decent writers, but last time I saw a physical copy it looked like shit took a crap on a turd. Heavy local -- a handful of high schools, a D-III school and some wood-bat summer baseball. If they go anywhere, it's rare or because of a local tie (they're the sister paper of the much-beloved Daily News Record, from whom they get their JMU coverage).

It's about an hour from Leesburg and the western D.C. suburbs, maybe less if traffic's going your way. You're also not far from Charles Town and the many treasures1 it has to offer.

1 -- treasures in this case being horse racing, nickel slots and STD-laden strip clubs

11. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Well, it smells like.....no, that can't be it. Yeah, I think it is...I believe it's foreskin!

You better stay on the Dawg's good side, KaraokeC. He may end up taking your job. The world could use another hustla. God Bless the Dawg.

12. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Meat, have you not seen a copy of the Star since the much-anticipated redesign? It's the tits. It only makes you want to vomit thrice instead of twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted