1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winchester, Va., -- sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lesboulez, Jan 14, 2009.

1. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I always wanted to put "Handley Judges" in a story. Alas ...

Apple Festival, good. Winchester, eh, good enough.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Knew several Handley Judges and three or four James Wood Colonels in college, including the only guy I've ever known nicknamed "Spike," who was a dead ringer for Rodney Crowell and a pretty good athlete.

Nice city. Everyone local read the paper for "Pott's picks" or some such thing. We made several trips up to Charles Town for the races and beers on weekend I went homme with one of those guys.

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I'm still in shock Ben Brooks is no longer in Winchester.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Echo what others have said... Winchester's beautiful, but might be getting a bit pricey with DC burbs coming out to the west. Bout an hour's drive on 66 in really good traffic.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pott's picks? Jesus. Are you 90?

Any movement on this one?

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

When I stop laughing at this, I may be able to type a comment. Wonderful, Sonner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just like 95 between Lorton and Fredericksburg, 66 between Centreville and the Beltway is always clogged, no matter the time of the day. An hour to D.C. is a total pipe dream.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ha! Not 90. But almost halfway there.

Let's just say the Judges and Colonels I knew probably didn't play on an integrated high school team until their junior year of high school.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I did it on a Thursday in March around noon, leaving the airport to head toward 81 and Roanoke. It can be done. Now, granted, at 5pm in rush-hour traffic, oh helllllll no.

10. JackReacher

When I was attending Mason, I often made it from Strasburg (about a mile from the start of 66) to Fairfax (Exit 57) in 45 minutes. No chance you make it from Winchester (about 15 miles from the start of 66) to DC (20 miles past Fairfax) in an hour. Sorry.

11. JackReacher

Anyone news on this position yet?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted