1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winchester, Va., -- sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lesboulez, Jan 14, 2009.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Company: Winchester Star
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    February 18, 2009
    Job ID: 1011544

Description:
    The Winchester Star, a 20,000-circulation daily in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, is seeking a sports editor to lead a four-member department. We’re looking for an editor with strong communication, planning and design skills to focus on local sports, including enterprise and columns. Includes coverage of five local high school sports programs, Shenandoah University, and the Valley League, an NCAA-sanctioned summer league. The successful candidate will have enthusiasm, proven editing and leadership skills, strong writing talents, and a minimum of two years supervisory experience. Send resumes and clips to mhileman@winchesterstar.com or mail to: Maria Hileman, Managing Editor, Winchester Star, 2 N. Kent St., Winchester, Va. 22601. No phone calls, please.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What? Ben Brooks left? I think he's been there since the building opened in 1821. :)

3. It's a good area for prep sports. Millbrook is the defending AA state champion in basketball, and you've got several strong programs in football in Frederick County (Sherando, James Wood and Millbrook) and the City of Winchester (Handley). In the past, this paper's also covered schools in Clarke, Shenandoah and Warren Counties, not sure if they'll do that anymore. One other thing about the preps is that for the four schools that make up the base of your readership, sending reporters to games should be incredibly easy. The three Frederick County schools and Handley will make up 80% of their district, and Skyline High in Warren County's about a half-hour drive.

4. JackReacher

Yeah. The prep sports aren't bad in and around Winchester, which is a pretty good town. Good bar scene, close to a bunch of major cities.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The ad says five schools, which to me sounds like Handley, Sherando, Millbrook, James Wood and Clarke Co. They overlapped the NV Daily on Warren Co. and Strasburg (and maybe Skyline, though perhaps they pulled back by the time that school opened), but I guess not any more.

Clarke's traditionally strong in boys and girls basketball, cross country and boys and girls soccer, and I believe its football team was pretty good this past season. Sherando is usually a state football contender, and Handley is often in the mix too. So yeah, good high school sports all around.

Nice area, though a little pricey with the Washington exburbs touching it now. You're probably an hour west, maybe a bit more, from Dulles and the western D.C. burbs.

It's been a while since I've seen the Star, but it's a solid enough paper. Not terribly flashy, but you could do worse at that size.

6. JackReacher

Yeah. A bit pricey, but not too bad. You can find a real nice place for $700-800 easy, if not less. I'm guessing with the money an SE would make, rent wouldn't be a problem.

Plus, you get a chance to cover the great Pepper Martin!!

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Clarke's football team reached the Region B final and lost to Gretna, which went on to win the state title. I'm still trying to thaw out from covering that game. Man it was cold down there. Too bad I missed the next Gretna game, which featured an appearance from Chris Brown and Rihanna, since Brown went to Essex, which lost to Gretna in the state semis.

Thus ends today's Gretna-jack.

Vic Hall for president!!

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Damn, I actually covered a couple of Essex games at my last ... er, next to last ... job. I figured I'd see him there, but no.

Too bad the Star doesn't cover Gretna. Top-flight football and you're 10 minutes from the Golden Skillet.

I'd just be happy with Vic Hall for quarterback. GG Groh.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've been to Gretna on a few occasions. Gretna-jack could have more than one meaning.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't care if he outgained Ronald Curry, both the Vick brothers, Marques Hagans, Allen Iverson and everyother quarterback in Virginia high school history. Moving Vic Hall to cornerback was a genius move. [/groh]

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You people are hitting me where I fucking live.

Also, one of my college roommates was from Funchester. He definitely had what I've heard referred to as the "Winchester jaw".

12. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Pretty area. Crappy paper. Crappy chain.

Draft saved Draft deleted