1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ltrain1127, Jan 21, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Count me in as suckered. I was thinking the same thing about the thread title. :)

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then it was worth it. ;)

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The chair is not my son.[/classicletterman]

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"They pelted us with rocks and garbage"[/doors]

5. Johnny Dangerously

A former editor and I came up with a victory-victory solution about this topic.

6. Frylock

Frylock Member

I know it's hard for many of us to accept, but language evolves.
    We can put guidelines on it, but hard and fast rules don't always work.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

"Impact" and "chair" as verbs isn't the language evolving, it's DEVOLVING the language.

8. Johnny Dangerously

I am efforting to come to terms with the evolving and devolving language I occasionally call English.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is me; I used to be iron-clad on this, but not anymore. For one thing, it would mean changing AP copy pretty much every single time.

So I try to hold on to it personally, but it's no battleground with the staff.

Add: Another issue is the whole pitcher's record thing. Nobody in baseball says "victories" to refer to that, and it looks dumb. So another reason.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Making copy cleaner, with more active verbs and fewer echo quotes, and writing punchier headlines with precise decks are far better uses of a copy editor's time than victory-win-defeat-straight-consecutive word changing (although I had a boss at a previous stop who was adamant about putting a hyphen between seven and straight as in seven-straight completions).

11. Johnny Dangerously

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's the whole reason copy editors have shit fits about using "impact" or "chair" as verbs. And dear God, don't get me started on the non-word "impactful."

Draft saved Draft deleted