1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ltrain1127, Jan 21, 2009.

1. HA! He is. He really is.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I personally think Cliff Lee's 22-2 victory-loss record was the most unexpected storyline of last season.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Proper style is "victory-defeat record."

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, I've read history books.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm more bothered by people who write "won-loss" record. It's won-lost or, if you must, win-loss, but won-loss makes no sense.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What was the Red Sox's conquest-setback record last year?

7. I used that argument with a sports editor 30-plus years ago and he explained to me the column heading in the standings from AP were W L for Games Won and Games Lost. It was now for Wins and Losses.

I learned at that point it was an argument I couldn't win.

He also wouldn't let us use straight to describe a streak of events, such as won seven straight games. That arose from a predecessor who was one of the top baseball writers ever, but in covering a game he once wrote that a batter struck out on ``three straight curveballs.'' Sports editor want to know how the curveballs could be straight, and mandated we couldn't use the word straight.

8. Ask anyone who's ever pitched at Coors Field. ;)

9. When GIFT became a verb, I gave up. Youse can use whaddeva woids youse wants. :(

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not using win as a noun is not win.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That will get me to blow my gasket, even more so than using impact as a verb. A chair is an inanimate object, not a verb. Hell, I'd change chairperson to chairman or chairwoman.

12. [Ask anyone who's ever pitched at Coors Field. ;)
    [/quote]

Priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted