1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wimbledon Running Thread. *Updated--Isner wins 70-68 in 5th*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 21, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: Wimbledon Running Thread. *Alert--Federer in Deep Trouble*

Fed opens 5th with break ... this could be very quick.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Federer breaks again. 3-zip. Ov-ah.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

You put up a good fight, Princeton, but this is when Georgetown shows why it's Georgetown.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think you can change the thread title now.

Hell of a comeback for Federer.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: Wimbledon Running Thread. *Updated--Federer Had It All The Way*

6-0 in the 5th

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

We're starting to see the decline in Fed and you have to believe his mind is starting to think about life after tennis, but he's still one of if not the greatest men's tennis champion and I've never doubted the guy's resolve to grind out a victory.

This makes me wonder if this is going to be a tournament where he's consistently grinding out battles match to match or will he right the ship in a couple days.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's a slight decline, sure, but it's natural, and it's mental.

How could there NOT be a decline? What on earth is left to keep the man motivated? Been No. 1 forever. Career Grand Slam. Most Grand Slams in history. And oh, yeah, now you have a couple of twins to occupy your time and your mind.

At some point, there will be times--- even the opening match at Wimbledon --- where your heart is no longer thumping at 150 beats a minute and your adrenalin is no longer flowing from the opening point out there. And you will be vulnerable to an upset against hungry players who have nothng to lose and to whom you are the biggest trophy victory out there.

That it hasn't happened sooner --- that the ridiculous Grand Slam semifinal streak of his didn't end a year or two before --- is what's surprising to me.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Kudos James Blake, kudos.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Video-James-Blake-yells-at-ESPN-commentator-dur?urn=ten,250430

I just wish he'd have asked the chair to shush her first.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Isn't about time that ESPN and the other networks covering sports get in their producer's ear and tell them to end the sideline "in-game" interviews with athletes.

Sorry, Inky, not all of this is on Shriver. Her fucking producer should have enough brains to go "talk to him after the match.

Blake isn't going to last past this weekend in London, methinks. He has had trouble winning at Wimbledon.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ummm, it wasn't an in-game interview. She was commenting on his match and doing so loud enough during play that he could hear what she was saying.

11. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I was proud of Blake for that, too, though I find Shriver to be a decent analyst.

I especially hate it when the sideline reporter -- be it Shriver, Gilbert, Cahill or Mary Jo -- is sitting right behind the photogs, as is usually the case during the Aussie Open. Their mic is usually on, which means we have to listen to the shutters going off throughout every point.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Such is the pros and cons of sideline reporters. But they should STFU during play.

Draft saved Draft deleted