1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wimbledon Running Thread. *Updated--Isner wins 70-68 in 5th*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 21, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Borg never won there, either, for a variety of reasons.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

With Rafa an the U.S. Open, it's about how much wear and tear he puts on his body throughout a season that by the time he gets through Wimbledon, he's just thrashed. But if he pulls off the French-Wimbledon-U.S. triple, I'd be impressed.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Borg-McEnroe was the best ever until Federer-Nadal in the 2008 final came along.

4. from 1992 through 2003, Americans won 25 of a possible 48 Grand Slams - more than half

but Wimbledon was I think the 26th consecutive Slam not won by an American, since Roddick at the 2003 U.S. Open

who do you guys think will be the next American to win a Grand Slam? if not Roddick, can Isner ever broaden his game to the point where he can contend for a Slam?

can we really imagine somebody like Ginepri, Querry or Dent winning one?

will it be somebody we haven't heard of yet?

Aaron Krickstein or Jimmy Arias comeback?

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about that.

American tennis on both sides of the draw is inching near its demise. None of the guys on the men's draw are anywhere close to Slam quality. Before Dent got hit with injuries I thought he had a slim slim chance just because he was a natural serve & volley guy. But his ship has long sailed. Isner doesn't appear to have a return game of any sort.

The women's side looks worse because there isn't even an American women in the top 20 outside of the Williams sisters. Serena could hold down the fort for a few more years but there's nothing on the horizon.

Once Roddick, Venus and Serena bow out, assumably in the next 3-5 years...That's it.

Draft saved Draft deleted