1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wimbledon play

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Jul 6, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How is your paper playing up the Wimbledon finals?

I ask for two reasons....

1. Do people still care about Wimbledon?
    2. By the time people read the paper, both matches will have been over for nearly 24 hours.

Is it still worth play on the cover?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think if people care about two tournaments anymore, they are Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

We had Venus and Serena on the cover today, and I'm sure we'll do the same for the Men's final. No matter who wins, it's a huge moment in men's tennis.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yes people still care about Wimbledon. I think this men's final is drawing a lot of interest just because I think most people think Rafa is going to win, finally. And even if he doesn't Federer quest for another ttle s just amazing.

Even though the women's game is seemingly more popular, the final was a ho hum, boring Williams sster thing, so it wasn't played bg in our paper. The men's final will be however. Heck, what else ya gonna put out front today? Tour de France? AT&T National? Yanks-Red Sox?

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Either the top or bottom of Page 1. It won't be our centerpiece, though.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The other thing is that the match may not end for a few hours still if Federer extends it to five sets. So the aging issue won't be as much of a problem.

6. JackReacher

True, but typically, these things end before noon.

We played the women's final bottom of the cover, partly because, as someone noted above, there's not much else going on. Men's final will also be on the cover, I assume.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I would hope, Senor Sonner, that this particular gentleman's singles final would be dressed up a smidge more than, say, the Pat Cash final. Not knowing what awesome localness you have going on, though ...

rb

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd say the play of this story probably has gone up considerably in the past hour, or so.

The sheer quality of the match so far, as well as the significance, no matter who wins it, would seem to dictate that.

Of course, this is all contingent on it actually even being finished today...second rain delay going on now. What a bummer. NBC must be beside itself.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We put the women's final above the fold this morning. Probably the men's final will be there, if it's finished.

But Cubs-Cardinals has been our centerpiece all weekend.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Men's final is going to be hard to keep out of a prominent spot given how it finished.

11. Guy on the couch

Guy on the couch New Member

I know one paper in Virginia that is dedicating a full front page and multiple inside pages to it, as well as the ASE writing a column on his hatred for Rafa and his love of Ashley Harkleroad.

Crazy play, I tell you!

12. JackReacher

I'm not doing the dressing tonight, so I don't know what's on the budget locally. But I have no doubt the men's final will, and should be, played out front.

Draft saved Draft deleted