1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wimbledon equality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Fab Fortnight to pay equally for men's and women's winners, like the U.S. and Aussie Opens:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ten/4573042.html

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's now time for the men to play a best of 3 sets or the women to play a best of 5.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'd rather watch a women's match than a men's match, and it isn't because of Sharapova's legs -- though they certainly hurt.

I'm curious, what are the ratings like for men's finals compared to women's finals? It'd be interesting to see Wimbledon switch things and have the men play Saturday and the women on Sunday to see how the ratings change.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I agree with heyabbott. To get equal pay, there ought to be equal effort required.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

In that case, drop the men to three sets. It's two fewer sets of boring tennis.

6. ondeadline

Federer could be done with his matches in an hour under that format.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Who wants to watch Roddick look lost to an extra 25 minutes anyway?

8. ondeadline

I don't watch it at all so it doesn't matter to me. If it's not the Williams sisters or Sharapova, I usually don't watch tennis. I enjoy Agassi's matches, but he's retired.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sadly, it depends on the nationalities involved . . . and the glamour. Gender has little to do with it. Just look at the post above. Quality of match is of zero importance.

Federer d. Roddick 6-1, 6-2, 6-1 = good ratings.

Federer d. Davydenko 6-7 (4), 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 10-8 = bad ratings.

Williams d. Sharapova 6-1, 6-2 = good ratings.

Clijsters d. Mauresmo 3-6, 7-6 (6), 9-7 = bad ratings.

Ridiculous.

10. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

Well, it was just a matter of time. And the fact that the women play best-of-3 while the men play best-of-5 doesn't matter to the PC police. Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- really cares about women's basketball, save for some get-a-lifers in Connecticut and Tennessee, and yet they get more scholarships (15) than do men's teams (13). And men's basketball, obviously, has millions and millions of fans and produces one of sport's greatest events, the NCAA Tournament, each year.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hey, keef, you forgot the blue font.

12. No, he didn't.
    He's oppressed, you see.

Draft saved Draft deleted