1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilpons Selling Part of Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by derwood, Jan 28, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

if it turns out to be true that wilpon was a willing co-conspirator/shyster in the madoff scam, a lot of prominent media folks will be eating much crow -- 'cause fred wilpon pulled the greatest scam of all, convincing the supposedly cynical, hardcore ny media that he is a mensh from brooklyn who still bleeds dodgers blue... from loopy to fatcessa, the backtracking and dancing will be enterainment of the highest quality. fatcessa has been callee d out on his hypocrisy, naivete and lack of business acumen several times in recent days -- to say he doesn't handle the heat gracefully would be an understatement of epic proportions.

yet it serves as another lesson for n.y. sports executives/owners that the surest way to keep the hounds in the media off your case and even in your corner as a defense attorney is to grant them access, pat their heads and feed 'em a dog biscut. wondrous how easily the beasts can be tamed....

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Funny thing, shockey, a pal of mine who used to run concessions at Shea for Aramark always claimed Freddie was a sweeheart and Jeffy was the biggest jackass alive.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Usually how it works, isn't it? The founder remembers where he came from . . . the second in line, who woke up thinking he hit a triple, not so much.

4. more terrific reporting from the NYT

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is the prevailing story. That Fred is a good guy, but more than slightly inept and out of his league. Junior just a world class schmuck.

I wonder if there's any chance in hell the Doubledays would ever buy this team back.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here's hope that Luppy somehow benifitted from the Madoff/ Wilpon scam.

Starting to look like "Fast Freddy" was the rainmaker of the scam.

Wonder if Steve Phillips was the unquoted former Met Executive mentioned in The Times.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

Oooh, a stunner from loopy today: WILPONS BEING RAILROADED, DAMMIT!!

typical spit: one side gives n.y. times loads of dirt on wilpons, loopy cries, 'FOUL!!! THEY'RE NOT PLAYING NICE WITH MY FRIEND FRED!!!'

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2011/02/03/2011-02-03_they_take_off_gloves.html

(For the record, I've got no idea if the wilpons are guilty of foul play or were just plain stupid about trusting madoff -- but i sure know who i'm rooting for in this times v. loopy scrum, wherein loopy continues to be played by his friend fred; guess at this point he's gotta be all in. HOW MUCH OF A CREDIBILITY HIT DOES MIKEY TAKE IF IT INDEED TURNS OUT HE'S BEEN PLAYED?)

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clearly Luppy willing to go down with the ship.

What did the Wilpon's expect when they announced they were going to sell part of team- that The Times would not investigate.

What Luppy does not address is how the Wilpons have lied about Madoff scandal not affecting the team.

If the Wilpons felt they had to take the drastic step to sell clearly there is something there.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Cue the violins.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Law suit unsealed. More evidence that the Wilpons are going down

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/sports/baseball/05mets.html?ref=sports

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This story isn't going away.

Fred and Jeff even offered Madoff a piece of the team in 2002.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/sports/baseball/05vecsey.html?ref=baseball

Beginning to explain a lot.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loopy doubling-down again on the Wilpons in his notes under his Sunday column.

We'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted