1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilpons Selling Part of Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by derwood, Jan 28, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A vast majority of the "victims" of Madoff were greedy rubes who should have known that the ceaseless profits from his scheme were impossible to garner legally. It's fine for the government to go after as much of the money as possible, but I hope only the mom-and-pop investors are "repaid," and not the billionaires in Palm Beach who Madoff screwed.

2. I thought Jimmy Dolan was president of said club?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And Madoff was not the first Ponzi scheme Freddie was caught up in:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/sports/baseball/31mets.html?_r=1&ref=sports

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So, so many candidates . . . so little time . . .

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And MLB is soon to officially announce that the 2013 All-Star game will be played at Citi Field...by which time Fred Wilpon will be sharing a cell with Bernie Madoff and the Mets will have new ownership

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Jimmy Dolan does MLB. Can't wait.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

According to report in The NY Post yesterday, Martin Luther King III is part of a grouop interested in buying in... Ed Kranepool also is part of that group

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Also Donn Clendenon's son. Be great for baseball to have black ownership.

We'll now see how genuine The Wilpon's are in their homage to Jackie Robinson.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It just keeps getting more and more fun. Next thing you know we'll find out that Bernie Madoff dressed up as Mr. Met.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/sports/baseball/02mets.html?_r=1&ref=sports

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Beautiful - The Mets invested deferred player money with Madoff.
    This is turning into a real black eye for baseball.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"You f****d up . . . you trusted us!"

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

As a Mets fan, the good news is it won't be long until the Wilpon family is forced to sell the team. The more I read -- and the Times has been doing a great job uncovering all this stuff -- the more I'm convinced Fred not only knew of Madoff's scheme but was an active participant.

Draft saved Draft deleted