1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Willybuns blasts "jealous" Style writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 30, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way...at our newspaper, it's true.

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Other Posties blast Wilbon: http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/newspapers/its_official_no_one_at_the_post_likes_each_other_43016.asp?c=rss

3. 3. The free schwag features gets compared to sports is like comparing Christmas morning to Valentine's Day.

5. I'll agree with the deadline thing -- it's a mandatory part of being good in the gig -- but there are great writers in every section of every newspaper. And with the amount of shitty ledes posted here every week, I wouldn't be so quick to fit that crown.

6. Election night is a bitch because results can push a deadline waaaay back, but you're on point with the fact that it really isn't the frenzy they make it out to be. Pretty funny comparison, actually -- hadn't thought of it.

10. Yes, I can't begin to count how many news reporters working in Gaza got their start covering preps field-hockey. Let's not kid ourselves here: we're very good at what we do, and they're good at what they do. Armchair quarterbacks may not write sports very well, and armchair critics may not write entertainment all that well.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Good point on the foreign correspondent thing. I probably couldn't make an easy transition from covering a D1 college football beat into being embedded with the 301st Mechanized Division and filing a story while under enemy fire.

I'm talking mainly about the lazy features writers and the drone-like metro guys who wouldn't know news unless it happened at a meeting.

5. Then we're in agreement. But you should also include those numbnuts who regurgitate press releases for a byline.

6. In other words, you're talking about all the people you're talking about, except the people you're not talking about.

And Jennifer Frey?
    Give me a big old freaking break there.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I'll take a sportswriter covering breaking general news -- fire, murder, Electon Night -- on deadline over a general news reporter covering a sports event on deadline every night of the week. And twice on Saturday night, when the deadline for that fat Sunday paper is that much earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted