1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Willie--OUT (Mets fire Randolph)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figured Randolph was a goner when I read a response to criticism that he didn't stick up for one of his players who got tossed. "You can't argue balls and strikes," he said. I mean, did he figure that every manager that got tossed for arguing balls and strikes didn't REALIZE they would get tossed if they argued balls and strikes.
    Randolph deserved better, but he could have used a dose or two of Dallas Green or Lou Pinella.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

So the answer is Jerry Manuel? The fail is strong in this group.

5. Well said.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Willie was one of my two favorite players when I was growing up and I have always rooted for him. What a shitty way to get fired, especially by your hometown team. F-ing Mets.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Willie should never have been hired for this job, but that said -- he didn't deserve to be fired, at this juncture.

At least, Omar now has no further insulation from the bulk of the heat -- because he's next. His overt coveting of a number of overpaid deadheads who've decided to take early retirement while still in Met uniforms will doom him, and sooner, rather than later.

8. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Great points, BYH. How did they think this wouldn't be a big deal if they ushered it in at 3 AM? Like you said, it makes them look infinitely worse this way.

Mike and Mike had Bill Madden on this morning and he said much the same.

Ugh.

9. Go Phillies.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Willie had me until "Isiah Thomas."

Zero credibility after that.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Seriously, does anyone outside of Mets management and us really care what the papers have to say about how they handled it?

Minaya buys himself a few more months by giving Randolph enough rope to hang himself. If he had rightly sacked him after last year's collapse, it's all on Omar.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Glad Vaccaro called the Mets exactly what they are: Cowards and a disgrace.

Draft saved Draft deleted