1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Willie Mays On Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 31, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I would like to correct Boom's statement that Willie Mays has been a prick for the past 20 years.

It's more like 40 years....maybe 50.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OK guys, call me a little jaded because I'm a Giants fan, but cite some examples of prickdom. It's absolutely ridiculous that baseball doesn't have a major award named after him, especially the All-Star game MVP. Or is it because he didn't drink his team into oblivion like Mantle, or he's being punished because the Giants moved to New York in the middle of his career?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How long before the "prick" label falls off? Come on give me a break, will you?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Damn straight. His manners towards the media and the broad public have been pure excrement, for years -- unless he was getting a potful of money.

No better teacher of the broad prick persona to Barry than good ol' Uncle Willie.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the HOF question about Barry is a fair one. So is a generic "What do you think of all of the steroid use in baseball?" question that all of the old-timers get.

But I would agree more than one or two questions about Barry would be a bit unfair.

I saw Mays about five years ago at a football game and people were remarking about putting him on their dead pool lists. I can't imagine he's doing much better these days.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He's a bastard even when he's getting a potful of money. His surly behavior at autograph shows is legendary. People pay a lot of money to have him sign a baseball and he rolls it across the table at them, doesn't even look up.

7. Isn't he blind, or near it? (not that he always had that excuse)

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anyone read the book yet? I've heard the author a few times and must admit it sounds like a pretty good book.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Didn't John "The Hammer" Milner already answer that question in court?

Draft saved Draft deleted