1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Willie Mays On Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Only reason that Willie was willing to talk is because of his book

He has been a prick to everyone for years. Why roll out the red carpet for him now.

2. Boom_70

Check out this story Jack Curry did on Willie in 2002:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/21/sports/on-baseball-even-at-71-mays-can-take-some-good-swings.html

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I wasn't talking about that specific story, I'm talking about Mays being on a media tour and presumably doing many interviews with other outlets.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Well, shit, I didn't know fans are done with it. It seems to be a big topic on talk shows every year when Hall of Fame results are announced. I guess all those callers are writers. Who knew?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Smasher, the callers to sports talk radio are about as representative of the fan base as are the racist commenters at the bottom of a Web article. But go talk to some fans. They understand how steroids happened and where the era will end up in history. Yet the writers, drunk on their own self-importance and needing a column during a slow news cycle, discuss their HOF ballot as if they're rendering a Supreme Court majority opinion. Then they go on with their radio buddies (co-workers in many cases) and hold a circle jerk. Meanwhile, what few callers there really are, are screened in such a way that anyone with an IQ above 80 isn't let on.

So there's how you hear discussion of this "hot topic."

A-Rod, Manny, McGwire ... you name it, there were very very few fans who had a whole lot of angst about the revelations. And back to the origin of this thread, believe it or not, there are people who would read an article or a book about Willie Mays to find out something about Willie Mays, not more conjecture about Barry Bonds.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd rather hear Willie Mays talk about baseball as he lived it rather than hear Bob Feller tell the kids to get off his lawn. Like I said, not every damn baseball story has to be through the prism of steroids.

7. Boom_70

Steroids aside I hate it when a guy who has been a prick for the past 20 years now is willing to talk because he wants to sell a book.

I hate it even more when the media rolls out the red carpet for this type of tour.

8. dooley_womack1

Um, because he's Willie Mays?

9. Smasher_Sloan

OK, the people who call talk shows don't represent fans....but I can get a true consensus by talking to random people.

Got it!

10. Boom_70

So what. Are you suggesting they should treat him with kid gloves?
    There have been a lot of questions that Willie has not been willing to talk about and fans deserve an answer.

I would like to know if he feels his godson has devalued some of his records.

11. dooley_womack1

I meant that you cover him (you implied he not be covered even though he put out a book). And OK, since you obviously have a burning need to know what Willie Mays thinks about his godson, I'll help you out: Willie Mays loves his godson and didn't think he did a thing wrong. You'd be deluded to think he'd say otherwise. You're welcome.

And why, pray tell, would you grill a guy in his 70s when you'd get a lot better story talking about the past?

12. Boom_70

Because the only reason the guy is doing it is for the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted