1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

William Randolph Jeter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MankyJimy, Dec 2, 2014.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Jeter's new venture, The Players Tribune, is eliminating the need for journalists - and Charlie Pierce is none too happy about it:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/derek-jeter-players-tribune-tiger-woods-media/

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Eliminating the need for journalists.
    Right.

I'm sure the next "Tiger drives into a hydrant" story will be thoroughly covered on that site.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My take on the site. ... not that anyone asked.

I think there would be a huge appetite for the "unfiltered voices" of pro athletes. But that site is not going to give anyone that. Everything that will get put up there is going to be way filtered. And then filtered some more.

I do think the site can be successful, though. It's got star power. All Russell Wilson has to do is put a link to his story on his twitter feed, and I am sure that site has instant traffic. How much ongoing engagement with the site there will be is another story.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I give the site a year or two before it quietly fades away. Fans won't have the patience for p.r.-written stuff. You'll get more emotion from one athlete tweet than a thousand-word story on that site.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pierce needs an editor. I read article earlier and he had Richard Sherman as Ex Editor of The Players
    Trib. I see now it's been changed to Russel Wilson.

Surprised that Janay Scott did not tell her story on Players Trib. I wonder if she was turned down.

Entertaining but hard to believe anything written on there

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The title sounds like a double play combination that missed each other by a few years.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted