1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

William Nack

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rponting, Oct 12, 2007.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm a huge fan--hard to pick a piece better than his ode to Secretariat but his tracking down (maybe) Bobby Fischer would be up there for me. I know it would not be to everybody's taste (and part of me desperately wanted him to pull the trigger and just tackle Fischer, not letting go until he answered some questions). Maybe I like it because there's as much Nack as Fischer in the story.

YHS, etc

2. rponting

rponting Member

An inspiration, for sure

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

THE SHELL ANSWER MAN REPORTS:

Nack is now with the WWL, doing writing and voiceover work for a series of essays (on prominent people, in all sports) the network is producing.

He consulted on their Ruffian in-house movie, and they picked up on him, then.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If I remember correctly, dude slept in Secretariat's stable the night before the horse was put down.
    He spoke at a journalism conference I was at in college and the room of the 20 or so of us was almost in tears just by hearing him retell the story.

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

The book on Secretariat is one of the top three or four sports books I've ever read, up there with Moneyball, The Breaks of the Game and Season On the Brink.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have the Secretariat book and My Turf around here somewhere.
    Must find.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm all over that. Thanks for the link. I forget that the amazon.com used section has criminally-good deals sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted