1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

William Nack

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rponting, Oct 12, 2007.

1. rponting

rponting Member

Have just finished My Turf and I think it's a supreme collection of pieces. What an outstanding writer. I'm aware Nack left SI some time ago; what's he up to now?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

...is not dead?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

... has never been in my kitchen?

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Best writer SI has had in the past 30 years or so.

Read his Secretariat stuff. You can't get closer to a great story and then write the f*ck out of it.

William Nack. Gone and mostly forgotten now, but he was the best.

5. rponting

rponting Member

The pieces on Marciano and "Big Daddy" Lipscomb blew me away, so rich in anecdote and detail and so beautifully constructed. I've got about 600 sports books. I'd put My Turf in the top five

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

His Secretariat biography was phenomenal.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He's semi-retired and living in D.C. Pretty sure he might be writing another book. He consults on just about any horse movie made. I know he did some teaching for awhile. A really good man, if you have have the chance to talk to him. He understands writing the way some people understand music. Great prose, just like song lyrics, has meter. Count the meter in Nack's sentences. Nary a misplaced word. It's one of the reasons his stories read the way you'd imagine God would talk.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He was a great boxing writer for SI and his story on Secretariat, which is in BASW of the 20th century, is the best sports story I've ever read.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just read Ruffian, by Nack. Pretty quick and easy read, but very very well done.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been trying to track down a copy of "My Turf" for a couple of months now. I wish I'd gotten it when it was first out.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Something wrong with these? You could get a brand new one for three bucks, plus shipping, or a used copy for three cents.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0306812002/ref=dp_olp_2/102-1495274-8169705

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's odd.

I had the book on my Amazon shopping list. I noticed a couple of months ago when I was checking my list that it was listed as unavailable. I shrugged, started checking local bookstores and never really dug deeper on Amazon.

Draft saved Draft deleted