1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will You Vote?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 2, 2006.

?

Do you plan to vote in next week's elections?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Already did.

Lots of key initiated measures in my state (Almost always vote no), and somewhat close race for governor. And a big mayoral race in Microville, for a job with no power and that pays nothing.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Yes. And it will be at the fifth different place in the last five elections (school, different school, church, different school, different church). And there's a better-than-average chance it will take me at least an hour.

And we wonder why voter turnout is so low.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I've already voted on an absentee ballot here in California.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I would vote...........if only I was old enough.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nobody asks me on April 15 whether I voted. I pay my taxes, and if I foot the bills I get to complain - or not, if that's my choice.

I vote sometimes, sometime I don't. It usually depends on whether there's a real choice to be made.

But I always pay the bills. That's my stake in the process, and that ought to be enough.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I understand your angle. But I'd rather register my dissent at the polls than any other way. I wish ballots had "None of the above" as an option. I'd have used it during the last Presidential election.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you vote, you're part of the problem.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There is. It's called a write-in vote. It would be great to see Homer Simpson actually win one of these.

10. donnie23

donnie23 Member

"Every vote is a commitment to governing ourselves, whether we're good at it or not."

Thank you, Fenian. I'm not going to give the big sanctimonious speech or anything, but voting itself is a commitment to democracy. It's not about an obligation; when we try to guilt people into voting is when they argue most firmly about there being no one and nothing for which to vote.

You may hate every candidate's awful ad telling you how the other person:

--Can't be trusted
    --Voted with George Bush (insert amount) percent of the time
    --Will grant amnesty to illegal immigrants

And the list obviously goes on. Even given all the crap that has been spewed -- and it's a lot -- I think we're all fans of democracy and no matter what you think of Bush, we need to stand up for democracy.

BTW, last count on national advertising: $160M on negative ads, $10M on positives. Ugh. And I work in politics. The sad truth is that only the negatives move poll numbers (and, in turn, almighty dollars), and the only good effect positives ever have is as a last-second breath of fresh air in the days before the election -- because everyone is burned out from months of mudslinging.

Please vote. I guarantee that in the worst of worst cases, there is at least one candidate who stands for at least one issue for which you burn. And now you can have your damn soapbox back ;D

11. Hey, leave me out of your personal feuds or I'll tell Mitch!

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Shameless bump for the best political thread around...

Draft saved Draft deleted