1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will You Vote?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 2, 2006.

?

Do you plan to vote in next week's elections?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nah, he saved all the really dumb stuff for the national press.

Anyone know how Kinky's doin' down Texas way?

2. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice?

Whoops, that should go in the Rock HOF thread ...

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wow. Just wow. But Rush is/are Canadian so it doesn't count.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My sentiments exactly.

I think all politicians suck, but yes, I'll vote. Only missed one so far, and that was the '02 midterms because I had just moved and didn't get registered in time. ... Just wish politics didn't have to be so watered-down in this country. They're all the same, on both sides. At least have the decency to tell me you're bullshitting me.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Henry, I don't think opting out of the process gives you the right to complain. You can register your dissatisfaction by voting for a third-party candidate. Or by writing in "None of the above."

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Duane, the missing Ohio votes are in the pine crate right next to the Ark of the Covenant.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Here's the question -- how many people spend any time researching the candidates, their stand on the issues or ballot initiatives?

8. JackS

JackS Member

Nope.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

my wife and i do. but i am sure we're in the minority. i also never vote for anyone i don't know about, which is why unless i have some particular interest in the school board or county commission or dog catcher race, i typically leave those blank. actually, if it's partisan i'll usually vote democratic for the statewide offices but for the lesser ones i mentioned above, i leave them blank.

btw, i already voted. i vote absentee so i dont' have to wait in line on voting day. i think most states don't allow it but here in florida you don't have to be absent to vote by absentee ballot. we also have early voting, so you can vote starting a week or two ahead of election day.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Probably not -- there's not much on the local ballot over here to motivate me. The incumbent congressman has no serious opposition, he'll get 75% or more of the vote (he's a fairly good guy...his politics don't really match mine, but he's pretty sharp, honest and low key)...there's a city court judicial race and a couple of good government type ballot initiatives, but nothing I feel real strongly about. Plus, my polling place is on the other side of the city. I usually vote, I cast a ballot a month or so ago in a special election for a couple of mid-level state offices.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

This thread makes me want to drive to my parents house just to vote. Maybe I'll run that by them this week.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

When faced with two candidates I can't stand, here's how I choose:

Everyone starts with 100 points.

I save all the flyers that are stuffed in my mailbox, under my front doormat, under the windshield wipers. I keep a tally of the number of unsolicited recorded messages jamming up my voice mail so it takes 45 minutes to get through my actual messages, as well as the spam emails infesting my inbox. Deduct one point for each.

Add five points for each actual appearance made by candidate in my presence (ie, knocking on my door offering free pedicures, handing out sacks of peanut M&Ms at train station, coming with me to court to get me out of a speeding ticket, etc).

Deduct 10 points for each commercial mentioning Nancy Pelosi, regardless of political party. Deduct additional five points for every commercial picturing the candidate wearing jeans. Who are they kidding.

Add ten points for NOT marching in Fourth of July parade, or marching and handing out good candy. Handing out customized refrigerator magnets, paint stirrers, or chip clips is a double deduction.

Deduct three points for wearing a sports logo, unless candidate is actually on team roster.

For men: Add ten points for knowing how to tie a good half-windsor knot. For women, add ten points for not wearing hats in public. Both sexes, deduct a point for each lapel pin or Casio watch.

Tally all points. Find out who my mother is voting for, and vote the opposite way.

Feel free to take this to the polls with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted